Stock cooler with Intel i5 760

hrickards

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
Hi,

Sometimes in the next couple of months I'm going to purchase the bits for my second ever build (first, which is the PC I use now, was an old Athlon x2 2.1ghz build). I'll be using an Intel i5 760 in a Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 motherboard with Kingston 1 x 2GB 1333mhz DDR3 RAM (I'll later add a second identical stick and a pair of G.Skill Ripjaws 2GB 1600mhz DDR3, giving me a total of 8gb.). The graphics card will be a Point of View GeForce 8400 GS either 256mb or 512mb (I'm aware this is a pretty bad graphics card, but I don't play games at all so I'm hoping it should be okay for my usage). For an HDD I'll at first be reusing an 80gb Seagate drive, but I'll later swap this out for a 500GB Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C. For an optical disc drive I'll at first be reusing a TSSCorp IDE DVDRW drive with an IDE to SATA converter, but I'll later swap in a cheap Sony Optiarc read-only (works well with hackintosh and I only use an optical drive about once a month so I don't care about the loss of write functionality). All this will be in a Cooler Master Elite 360 case (default fans + 1 120mm Artic Cooling F12 Pro PWM Case Fan) with an OCZ StealthXstream II 500W PSU. I'll be using this as a hackintosh, with a legally purchased version of Snow Leopard.

The main thing I'm worried about is the temperature of the i5 760. I'm getting the 760 rather than the 750 because it's less than the equivalent of $4 more expensive and I have no experience with overclocking. This does mean I'll be leaving the 760 at it's stock speed of 2.8ghz. I'm planning to use the stock fan, but will this be enough. The references I've been able to find have said that if you plan to overclock a 750 you should go with an aftermarket cooler. I don't plan to overclock my 760, but as it's basically an OC 750 will the stock fan cool it okay (and if so, what sort of idle and load temperatures would I be looking at)? Surely Intel wouldn't sell a CPU with a stock fan that doesn't cool it enough?

Thanks

hrickards

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
Ok, thanks. As for temps, I guess I'll just wait and see. If they're too high I can always get an aftermarket fan and replace the stock fan with it.

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
If you're nervous about temps, installing something reasonable and cheap ahead of time will save you from having to pull the motherboard out later on. I've got that same board paired with an i7 860 (which will run hotter than your CPU) and have had great results with the Cooler Master Hyper 212+.

But unless your ambient temps are already high or you're locking your rig in a cabinet (or otherwise have no airflow) you'll be fine with the stock cooler.

Here's some notes I took when I put in the 212+:
I installed a CM Hyper 212+ on my i7 860 and compared it to stock cooling. With ambient temps of 18C I hit (stock cooler vs. 212+):

Idle - Stock: 25C
Idle - 212+: 18C

Prime95 8 threads - Stock: 80
Prime95 8 threads - 212+: 51

IBT 5x High 8 threads - Stock: 85
IBT 5x High 8 threads - 212+: 53

Brondahl

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
Hi,

Where can I find specs for the stock HSF which comes with the i5 760 (or any other CPU in general)

I've googled and searched relevant websites but all the hits I've got are people asking about wether they should be upgrading.

Many Thanks,
Brondahl

Brondahl

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
Well, I guess I'm trying to find some way of comparing it to other alternatives.
In particular I'd like to see load temperatures and noise levels.

Unfortunately, I'm very new to building computers so I'm not yet 100% on any of it, so please let me know if I'm asking questions that don't make any sense.

Brondahl

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
Edit: Obviously I've found the temperature stuff here, that was just what i'd been searching for when I arrived here.

So what I'm still looking for is noise ratings. RPM limits would probably be useful too.

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
If you look at review for various aftermarket heatsinks they usually include stock fan results. However, since most of the articles are comparing performance across a large number of heatsinks they typically are using the previuos generation hardware (socket 775). They couldn't switch to, e.g., an i5 760, without invalidating comparisons to previous product reviews. But since you did say any CPU in general, here's one with Temp and Noise for the QX6850: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-Plus-CPU-Cooler-Review/956/7

You could also try looking for launch articles for the CPU and see if heat & noise levels were listed. I did look one up from the launch of Lynnfield but that type of info wasn't included.

Brondahl

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
Excellent, thank you.
That's excatly the sort of thing I was looking for.

For reference, does CPU temperature continuously degrade performance or is there a limiting threshold?
For instance, say a CPU will shut itself down when it hits 90 degrees... will it still perform normally at 80 degrees?