[SOLVED] Stock CPU Cooler Question?

AmazyCrazy

Reputable
Jun 8, 2019
Hi, I'm upgrading from an old AMD A10 CPU to a 7th Gen i5 7600K and I plan on using the stock cooler with it for now, I got the hardware way back in 2017/18 and would like to know of the pre-applied thermal past is still good or if I should if I should get something different and what is recommended that's cheep?

Thanks in advance :)

By now the pre-applied paste is likely become hardened or at least less maleable and should be removed gently with plastic scrapper followed by 91% isopropyl alcohol and fresh thermal interface material (Paste) applied.

I recommend any of these, in order of preference.

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Noctua NT-H1 or H2
Arctic MX-5 (Or MX-4, which is still a fine choice)

There are many others that work well too so depending on what's available to you, if you can't get one of those or prefer to not use them for some reason, these are also viable choices.

Prolimatech PK-3
Cooler master MasterGel Pro v2
Arctic Silver 5

Any paste you buy for your application, and unless you are doing some very high end extreme overclocking, you want to NOT be electrically conductive. You also want something that is easy to work with and many of the higher end products contain things like crushed diamond powder, etc., making them very hard to work with, very likely to cause damage to your hardware if you don't know what you are doing and all for just a couple of degrees difference, if that. Stick to the standard, non-conductive pastes that flow easily and are both easy to apply and easy to remove.

The ones I listed previously are what you want to look at, believe me, I've done an awful lot of this over the last 37 years.