Question Stock HP 705 G3 SFF with AMD Pro A12 8870 GPU temps high at idle and random restarts

Apr 12, 2023

Hi All,

I have a stock standard HP Elitedesk 705 G3 with an AMD Pro A12 8870 processor (8GB ram and 480GB WD green SSD).

It seems to be running excessively high temps at idle. It will also reboot when trying to play basic games (e.g. Minecraft). I am not sure if the high temps are related to the rebooting, or if it's a power supply fault?

I can hear the CPU fan running and the internals are all dust free. I'm not sure how to diagnose and fix this problem. I've attached a screenshot showing the GPU idle temp at 80 degrees celsius which is surely excessively high...?

What I've done so far with no issues being shown (i.e. all tests clear):
  • Ensured Windows 10 is up to date
  • Run a memory test from BIOS using the built in HP utility
  • Used HP Hardware Diagnostics to test CPU, GPU, Storage Device, System Image
  • Run a deep scan using Windows Defender
  • Updated to the latest BIOS version
  • Made sure all the hardware drivers are up to date

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

9NZKZyS.png

Apr 12, 2023
Ok, an update:

I'm still waiting for the thermal paste to arrive so I haven't tried that.

I received a 16GB ram kit which I swapped out and the problem changed from black screen reboot to BSOD and more frequently. The PC became unusable. So I have tried the following:

• I ran Memtest86 with four passes being passed - So I assume the new RAM is ok.
  • I reformatted the SSD and did a fresh install of Windows 10 using the media creation tool and a USB flash drive.

Everything seemed fine in the fresh Windows install. Even the idle temps were down to between 40 and 50 degrees. This changed immediately after Windows Update downloaded and installed the AMD Readon graphics driver. (it was running on the Microsoft Basic Display adapter driver before).

Almost immediately after the AMD driver was installed, BSOD.

I had created a restore point before this driver was updated, so:
  • I restored the system and all was stable.
  • I then downloaded the graphics driver directly from HP's website and installed. Same problem, BSOD (almost immediate). I battled to get back into Windows and had to restore via advanced startup. It also at this stage said the SSD file system was corrupt and needed to be repaired, which I did.
  • I restored to the previous restore point again.
  • I then downloaded the graphics driver directly from AMDs website and installed. It seemed ok at first (i.e. not immediate BSOD). I decided to stress the system a bit and ran UserBenchmark. During the GPU benchmarking, same problem, BSOD.
I guess I could run the PC on the Microsoft basic display driver but I assume this is not optimal. I'd like to get the most out of the R7 integrated graphics (it's only for light gaming so I'm not buying a dedicated graphics card).

Is it possible that there is another hardware issue, or is it a bug with the AMD drivers? Perhaps there's a correct way to get the AMD drivers to work which I am unaware of?

P.S. Temp seemed fine whilst UserBenchmark was running. Averaging in the 60's with max 88 degrees during the GPU testing.

Apr 12, 2023
So, another update.

My last idea was to do a fresh install using HP's Cloud Recovery service. Using the service I created a bootable USB with the HP drivers and a 2018 version of Windows 10.

I made sure during the update that the AMD graphics driver was not updated. It installed a 2019 version of the driver. I'm not sure what the lastest stable AMD driver is. I'm currently running version 26.20.12028.2 from Aug 2019.

All the latest Windows 10 updates have been installed. This was done on Saturday morning. The system has been stable since.

I ran the Furmark stress test for about an hour and it ran at 99% GPU usage and an average of 45 deg celsius throughout. We also played Fortnite and Valorant without issues.

It seems, at this stage, that it was an AMD driver issue.