[SOLVED] Stock i9-9900k reaching 95°C+ in prime95 with iCUE H115i ELITE CAPELLIX

Nov 11, 2021
As the title mentions, I am getting very high temperatures in small FFTs prime95 with the following system:

• GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER-CF (BIOS updated on 01/19/2021, stock settings)
  • i9-9900k (stock settings)
  • iCUE H115i ELITE CAPELLIX (extreme settings on fans and pump)
  • Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut thermal paste (applied as a pea in the center of CPU)
  • Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15, 4x8GB sticks (with XMP enabled)
When running the test, pretty much every core is above 85°C, and a few cores reach 95-96°C.

Is this normal?
How can I reduce the temperatures?

Solution
1. go into bios and find avx offset, and reduce the multiplier by a few numbers, if it is at 47 for 4.7Ghz reduce it to 46 or 45
AVX is not used in anything important but prime uses it so if you only problem is that you have high temps in prime, then just reduce avx.

2. If your bios has a setting for target temp of the CPU you can adjust it to a lower temp and see if your cooler kicks in earlier or stronger and gets you better temps.

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut thermal paste (applied as a pea in the center of CPU)
It's a lot of work just to check but if the circle of paste doesn't cover enough of the CPU it can affect your cooling by quite a bit.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What are the ambient room air temps and what sort of a case are you working with? What sort of fans(orientation and number) are you working with inside the case(outside of the AIO fans)? What sort of temps do you see when taxed with another benchmarking app?

1. go into bios and find avx offset, and reduce the multiplier by a few numbers, if it is at 47 for 4.7Ghz reduce it to 46 or 45
AVX is not used in anything important but prime uses it so if you only problem is that you have high temps in prime, then just reduce avx.

2. If your bios has a setting for target temp of the CPU you can adjust it to a lower temp and see if your cooler kicks in earlier or stronger and gets you better temps.

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut thermal paste (applied as a pea in the center of CPU)
It's a lot of work just to check but if the circle of paste doesn't cover enough of the CPU it can affect your cooling by quite a bit.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Solution