[SOLVED] Stock i9-9900kf + Cooler Master GEMINII M5

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Hello guys,

As the title says. What would happen if you combine these?

Will a stock i9-9900kf throttle its turbo if cooled by a GeminII M5?

We can all agree it isn't ideal, but my father is kinda stubborn. If you have any factual statements about it I'd love to hear them.

My own concerns are that the GeminII M5 is rated at a TDP of 130W. The i9-9900 is reported to draw much more power than that under turbo. On the other hand turbo is very temporary on Intel processors, so I don't know if the cooling deficit is enough to create a problem.

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Thank you guys, this is what I feared. My father accepted it too, but said he wasn't experiencing any noticeably detrimental effects.

I suggested he used Thermalright AXP-100H Muscle: http://www.thermalright.de/en/cooler/65/axp-100h-muscle
... This is rated to 180W TDP instead of 130W. He needs a low profile cooler and is against AIO, so that limits things a bit. He responded that as long as he didn't see a problem he'd continue like this.

He is an electronics engineer and the company he owns develops electronics.
My guess would be that the most it will be challenge is in 3D cad programs and other rendering. I don't understand that programs they use well enough to know if it'll become a real problem though.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thank you guys, this is what I feared. My father accepted it too, but said he wasn't experiencing any noticeably detrimental effects.

I suggested he used Thermalright AXP-100H Muscle: http://www.thermalright.de/en/cooler/65/axp-100h-muscle
... This is rated to 180W TDP instead of 130W. He needs a low profile cooler and is against AIO, so that limits things a bit. He responded that as long as he didn't see a problem he'd continue like this.

He is an electronics engineer and the company he owns develops electronics.
My guess would be that the most it will be challenge is in 3D cad programs and other rendering. I don't understand that programs they use well enough to know if it'll become a real problem though.
He simply hasn't pushed the 9900KF hard enough.
Depending on how cpu intensive the workload is + Intel Turbo Boost... he'll find out once everything slows to a crawl.

There's only one top-down cooler I'd trust to be able to have a chance with a 9900K - and even then, still not really enough, and that's this: The 220W Dark Rock TF with a height of 131mm.

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
They've been using the cooler for a bit now. They had a bigger Cooler Master fan from an old Hyper 212 Evo and used that on it.

So far they haven't been getting any throttling, but I've warned them that they won't necessarily notice it when it happens.

Last edited:
Case cooling, thermal grease, settings, and load all come into play here.
I'm cooling my i9-9900k with the H80i v2. I'm using Arctic MX-4 compound and have all cores on my CPU locked at 4.8Ghz w/4.6Ghz ring. Voltage is between 1.23 and 1.255 max. Memory and GPU are OCd. I've gamed for hours on almost maxed settings in the latest games, like Red Dead Redemption 2 and never had my CPU throttle or get above 75ºC. When benching it does heat up a bit higher and, although I haven't run it long enough to throttle, I have a feeling that if I burn it with Prime95 long enough it would hit it's thermal threshold. But I'm okay with that limitation.

Remember, playing games or even doing CAD/Photoshop won't draw nearly as much as the 'torture loops' testers put these CPUs through to find the max draw.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Case cooling, thermal grease, settings, and load all come into play here.
I'm cooling my i9-9900k with the H80i v2. I'm using Arctic MX-4 compound and have all cores on my CPU locked at 4.8Ghz w/4.6Ghz ring. Voltage is between 1.23 and 1.255 max. Memory and GPU are OCd. I've gamed for hours on almost maxed settings in the latest games, like Red Dead Redemption 2 and never had my CPU throttle or get above 75ºC. When benching it does heat up a bit higher and, although I haven't run it long enough to throttle, I have a feeling that if I burn it with Prime95 long enough it would hit it's thermal threshold. But I'm okay with that limitation.

Remember, playing games or even doing CAD/Photoshop won't draw nearly as much as the 'torture loops' testers put these CPUs through to find the max draw.
Because of it's push/pull design and high rpm fans(over 2000), the H80i v2 rivals the performance of 240 AIOs. Not your ordinary 120mm AIO, which does have trouble cooling a 9900K.

Reactions: alceryes