Stock Intel cooler

itwitchroblox

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017
I'm planning on fitting my first pc with a i5 6400 and am going to turbo boost it. I was wondering whether the stock would be sufficient or not, and whether as a first time build I should stick to an i3 6100.

Solution
If you are playing games or doing some mild workstation software then the i5 would be much better because it's a quad core albeit a slower one. Stock coolers are fine if you don't overclock them past the stock speeds. Do you mean Turbo Boost as in the Intel Turbo Boost feature that comes with it? If you mean the auto turbo boost it won't make a difference in temps that much unless you mean manual overclocking the CPU then you might have temp problems if you push too far. Hope this helps :)

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
If you are playing games or doing some mild workstation software then the i5 would be much better because it's a quad core albeit a slower one. Stock coolers are fine if you don't overclock them past the stock speeds. Do you mean Turbo Boost as in the Intel Turbo Boost feature that comes with it? If you mean the auto turbo boost it won't make a difference in temps that much unless you mean manual overclocking the CPU then you might have temp problems if you push too far. Hope this helps :)

Solution

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador

Yeah Intel Turbo Boost Technology should be enabled in your BIOS, it basically boosts the core clock of the CPU when not all cores are in use. For example if you are doing something that only utilizes 2 of your 4 CPU cores, the CPU will turbo boost the 2 up to the Turbo speed.

TRENDING THREADS