Stock Kuma Core running hot

Kithzaru

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Hey guys, i'm still a little new here so bear with me on this one.

I recently moved to an area where the weather is a bit warmer (today hit 90, and the day in question hit 87) my apartment tends to be about the same temp as outside so, it's a little warm.

Well, my spare machine the other day shut itself off randomly. Come to find it had done so because it was hitting the temp safety. I was a little surprised by this because i'm not OCing this machine at all.

I went out and purchased an after market cooler... http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/p-142-rocketfish-universal-cpu-cooler.aspx i would have gone with something else like a Zalman or a Coolermaster but they didn't have any and either way, this should work better than the stock cooler.

Got home, shuved it in, turned it on, ran 3dmark06 3 times and it's hitting 62 degrees (with the side of the case off). I know 62 degrees isn't "extremely" high, but it is warmer than my other machine which is running a 5600+ and a stock cooler.

So, i guess the question is, do Kuma cores just run warm?

AMD Kuma 7750 BE
2x OCZ something or other
Asus M3A78
500gig WD green
Case is a CM something, not sure which though with the entire side off i don't think case flow is an issue at the moment.
Nvidia 9400 ( i know, don't judge here )

any insight would be great, thanks guys.

oh, and while i would have liked to use Arctic Silver, they didn't have any so it is genaric white stuff. Wouldn't think that would make a huge difference though i may be wrong.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007

Well for what it is worth the Kuma's do not seem to run excessively hot ,mine [a 7850be] for instance,never gets above 100f,I would think that removing the side panel [interrupts internal case flow] would only be of benefit if you had either a fan there or it was getting cooler air,as you say you do have an environmental heat problem,ie ambient heat,and it is possible that some Arctic Silver might make some difference,perhaps a large room fan running at a moderate speed might also be of some help and some shade from direct sun??....:)

Kithzaru

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Thank you for replying, i appreciate it.

Yeah i think i am going to put fan under there... it is currently under a rather large table, very well protected from the sun but not much air flow. Considering it's hitting low 90's outside, i would imagine inside is mid 90's, and under that table is about the same.

...damn i already have so many fans in my house just for me...and now another for my boxes =P

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Yea, the Kuma is going to run hotter than the old Brisbanes. The Kuma is actually an original run Phenom with 2 cores deactivated, and as such runs hotter than the native dual-core Brisbanes.

chripuck

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008

I have to ask because no one else has... why don't you have AC?

I couldn't imagine living in a place that is already in the low 90's in late May by the time early August hits. You'll be in triple digits in your apartment.

Kithzaru

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Yeah i did imagine the Kuma would run a bit hotter than my 5600+ but not by that much. The after market cooler on there seems to be putting it slightly under where the stock 5600 is, which is great (as long as it stays that way!) maybe at some point i will order some Arctic Silver 5 wtfever stuff... do you guys think it's worth pulling two fans off of two CPU's just to replace the gel? Obviously, right now it is fine, but i'm imagining it will get hotter as we're still in early June

Why no AC? well, two main reasons... one, i work part time and go to school full time, so the $$ for AC just isn't really there

and second... hell if i couldn't handle the current heat when it's only going to get worse then simply i have no business being here ; )

I plan on having the AC on a bit during july as i would imagine i need too, but i cant pay to have it run on and off for 3 months strait.

Thanks for the comments guys!