[SOLVED] Stock motherboard recommendations for ryzen 5 5600x

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 30, 2020
Hello i've really been wanting a cpu upgrade from my i7-7700 and i've only recently gotten into pc building so i'm not so well versed about everything yet. I'm really considering getting the Ryzen 5 5600x and I do not know what makes one motherboard different from another. I'm not looking to overclock or anything, just looking to run everything stock (even with stock cpu cooler). My budget is about around 100$ but i can maybe consider going up to 150$. Any recommendations for a cheap motherboard which i can just slap the cpu on and run it perfectly fine? The reason why I want to go as cheap as possible for motherboard is to save the money for RAM. My pc is primarily used for gaming and i'm using a RX 5700XT if that information is necessary. Thank you in advance for the help!

Solution
Hello i've really been wanting a cpu upgrade from my i7-7700 and i've only recently gotten into pc building so i'm not so well versed about everything yet. I'm really considering getting the Ryzen 5 5600x and I do not know what makes one motherboard different from another. I'm not looking to overclock or anything, just looking to run everything stock (even with stock cpu cooler). My budget is about around 100$ but i can maybe consider going up to 150$. Any recommendations for a cheap motherboard which i can just slap the cpu on and run it perfectly fine? The reason why I want to go as cheap as possible for motherboard is to save the money for RAM. My pc is primarily used for gaming and i'm using a RX 5700XT if that information is...
Hello i've really been wanting a cpu upgrade from my i7-7700 and i've only recently gotten into pc building so i'm not so well versed about everything yet. I'm really considering getting the Ryzen 5 5600x and I do not know what makes one motherboard different from another. I'm not looking to overclock or anything, just looking to run everything stock (even with stock cpu cooler). My budget is about around 100$ but i can maybe consider going up to 150$. Any recommendations for a cheap motherboard which i can just slap the cpu on and run it perfectly fine? The reason why I want to go as cheap as possible for motherboard is to save the money for RAM. My pc is primarily used for gaming and i'm using a RX 5700XT if that information is necessary. Thank you in advance for the help!
Unfortunately B550 boards are a bit pricier than the B450's that preceded, but then you are probably getting value in that even the low-end ones have decent enough VRM's, with heat sinking, now. I'd probably look at an Asrock B550 Phantom Gaming if I had to stay right around the $100 US mark.

But $150 opens things up a lot. I'd look at Asrock's B550 Pro 4 and MSI's B550 Gaming Plus and Asus' Prime B550 Plus.

Normally the big issue is VRM quality but a 5600X will run well even overclocked on almost anything so it's not really an issue. I'd look at features more closely: USB ports, especially number on the backplate if your case doesn't have many, and arrangement of the PCIe slots. Even sound chip isn't as important as before since even low end is decent and if you need high end you're usually better served getting an add-in sound card or using an external DAC.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.