[SOLVED] Stock Non-OC i7 8700k hitting max vcore of 1.344v?

thewalleprod

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016
I only enabled XMP in Bios and have multi-core enhancement disabled and my stock 8700k is hitting a max vcore of 1.344v in HWMonitor when gaming. This is causing temps to hit 75-80c after 1-2 hours of gaming. I feel like this is too high of a voltage for it to automatically be hitting if all settings are stock. Should I lower voltage manually? and if so what would be the best way to do it to keep temps in the 60-70c range?

Solution
The solid front panel, narrow side vent, 90 degree turn, and the radiator itself, together, reduce a fair bit of airflow, even if you did install the AIO's fans as pull - which is the best thing you could've done with them in that scenario.

Why is there a top intake? Is the motherboard VRM running too hot? Otherwise, that should be an exhaust, helping the rear fan to get the heat out faster.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That's not an alarming range, for either Vcore or temperature.
For cpu Vcore to be an issue, it would need to be running at a constant 1.40v or higher. A situation of occasional spikes to 1.344v is a non issue.

what would be the best way to do it to keep temps in the 60-70c range?
Probably reconsider your cooling setup. Cpu's typically don't pull much power in games. A good chunk of heat comes from aftermarket gpus dumping their exhaust on the cpu cooler.

Reactions: CompuTronix

thewalleprod

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016
That's not an alarming range, for either Vcore or temperature.
For cpu Vcore to be an issue, it would need to be running at a constant 1.40v or higher. A situation of occasional spikes to 1.344v is a non issue.

Probably reconsider your cooling setup. Cpu's typically don't pull much power in games. A good chunk of heat comes from aftermarket gpus dumping their exhaust on the cpu cooler.

So the max vcore of 1.344v was only a spike at one point during the session? And also yeah I agree with you, currently using a Corsair H100i Pro for cooling the CPU.. case airflow isn't the best.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
H500, eh? So the AIO's fans are more or less being choked.
Not a lot to be done there... you could play around with manual or offset voltage modes and knock off a few watts, but again, cpus don't use that much power in games, and a 240mm AIO should be more than capable of dealing with 100ish watts from the cpu.

thewalleprod

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016
H500, eh? So the AIO's fans are more or less being choked.
Not a lot to be done there... you could play around with manual or offset voltage modes and knock off a few watts, but again, cpus don't use that much power in games, and a 240mm AIO should be more than capable of dealing with 100ish watts from the cpu.

How are the fans being choked? I installed the fans on the inside faced towards the motherboard instead of in front of the radiator. I have one exhaust fan in the back and an intake fan on the top.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The solid front panel, narrow side vent, 90 degree turn, and the radiator itself, together, reduce a fair bit of airflow, even if you did install the AIO's fans as pull - which is the best thing you could've done with them in that scenario.

Why is there a top intake? Is the motherboard VRM running too hot? Otherwise, that should be an exhaust, helping the rear fan to get the heat out faster.

Reactions: CompuTronix
Solution

thewalleprod

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016

I'll change the top fan to an exhaust then. Appreciate your help! thanks.

TRENDING THREADS