[SOLVED] Stock Ryzen 3 3100 cooler on a 5800X?

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
I have a Ryzen 3 3100 CPU with stock fan/heatsink. I just ordered a 5800X which comes w/o a cooler.

Can I reuse my old cooler on the new CPU or do I need something more powerful?

TIA.

100000022box-3.jpg

Solution
It will downclock significantly and run very hot as the wraith stealth is not capable of handling a 5800x. It's a 65w cooler, no more.

You don't need to spend a whole lot for a sufficient cooler:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cqCD4D/arctic-freezer-34-esports-cpu-cooler-acfre00057a
This is another option for a bit less money:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/w3...7434-cfm-cpu-cooler-deepcool-gammaxx-400-blue

Having used both, the Arctic is a better cooler hands down, but the Deepcool for just $20 will still massively outperform the wraith stealth.

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
You need/want a real CPU cooler.

Yes. I do. But it's not in the cards ATM.

I'll check my current fan speed & temps of my 3100 and compare after installing the 5800x to see if is capable of sufficient cooling until I can afford it.

If I'm lucky, the stock fan will be adequate. It has been enough to handle even a tiny (8%) overclock on the 3100 w/o overheating.

It will downclock significantly and run very hot as the wraith stealth is not capable of handling a 5800x. It's a 65w cooler, no more.

You don't need to spend a whole lot for a sufficient cooler:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cqCD4D/arctic-freezer-34-esports-cpu-cooler-acfre00057a
This is another option for a bit less money:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/w3...7434-cfm-cpu-cooler-deepcool-gammaxx-400-blue

Having used both, the Arctic is a better cooler hands down, but the Deepcool for just $20 will still massively outperform the wraith stealth.

Solution

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
Big thanks for the info.

Every time I buy a new CPU, I have to buy a new cooler. Before the 3100, I had an Intel 4770 with AIO. I lost (or never had) a bracket to reuse it on the 3100 and had to stick with the stock cooler. Shouldn't the newer processors run cooler than earlier generations? :(

Big thanks for the info.

Every time I buy a new CPU, I have to buy a new cooler. Before the 3100, I had an Intel 4770 with AIO. I lost (or never had) a bracket to reuse it on the 3100 and had to stick with the stock cooler. Shouldn't the newer processors run cooler than earlier generations? :(
It's a much higher end processor with double the core count, you have to remember.

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
Unfortunately, no room in my case for a 240mm cooler.

I have an old 120mm AIO cooler (Seidon 120M) that I used on my overclocked 4770. I mounted fans on both sides of the radiator for a "push/pull" setup to double the airflow and it worked flawlessly for years.

But they never (AFAIK) made an AM4 bracket for it (it wasn't even rated for the 4770.) I'm wondering if I could make my own bracket? Maybe 3D printed?

Unfortunately, no room in my case for a 240mm cooler.

I have an old 120mm AIO cooler (Seidon 120M) that I used on my overclocked 4770. I mounted fans on both sides of the radiator for a "push/pull" setup to double the airflow and it worked flawlessly for years.

But they never (AFAIK) made an AM4 bracket for it (it wasn't even rated for the 4770.) I'm wondering if I could make my own bracket? Maybe 3D printed?
I used a Seidon 120V for 6 years as well. Upgraded it last year to a 240mm for new chip. I don't think they ever did an AM4 socket no, couldn't comment on 3D printing though as don't have one.

The stock cooler you have is definitely not going to be enough. If you can't fit a 240mm AIO then I would get a good air cooler instead. Something like the Arctic Duo 34 Esports might not be a bad option if you are on a budget.

Reactions: Mugsy

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
Hmm. I jumped on the 5800x when the price finally fell below $300 ($299 at MicroCenter) but it looks like I may have to wait on installing it till I can afford a decent cooler. (I will need to resell the old 3100 just to offset the cost of the 5800.)

What about reusing the stock block (from my Ryzen 3 3100) with a higher airflow fan?

Hmm. I jumped on the 5800x when the price finally fell below $300 ($299 at MicroCenter) but it looks like I may have to wait on installing it till I can afford a decent cooler. (I will need to resell the old 3100 just to offset the cost of the 5800.)

What about reusing the stock block (from my Ryzen 3 3100) with a higher airflow fan?
I'm not sure how easy it would be to do that. On Intel my solution to this would be to simply restrict the CPU frequency, like run it at 3Ghz for example, there by making the thermal output much more manageable. Unfortunately I wouldn't know exactly how to direct you to do that on AMD. An alternative would be to simply set the power limit in the bios to 65W TDP.

Reactions: Mugsy

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
Thx. Good info.

I did some research online and it reminded me the stock Stealth cooler that came with the 3100 is solid aluminum (no copper plate.) My old Seidon 120M has a copper contact plate, but it barely handled my overclocked 4770i even with an extra fan. If the 5800x runs even hotter, it probably wouldn't be enough either.

I have an OLD solid copper Heatsink that I used on an Athlon Phenom-II CPU 20 years ago that I've always wished I could use again, but I doubt it would properly fit a Ryzen (larger die.)

Unfortunately for me, I can't sell the 3100 and put the money towards a cooler for the 5800X b/c I can't be w/o a PC till the 3100 sells. I should be able to scrape together $30 for a decent cooler in a couple of weeks. I was really hoping I wouldn't have to lay out any more cash for this upgrade. :(

Just as a temporary solution you can power limit the CPU. In the BIOS you can enable Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO) and set a custom power limit of 65w or so. This will lower the power draw, clockspeed, and heat output of the CPU, making it run cooler on this cooler.

If you do not see this option you can disable turbo on the CPU.

TRENDING THREADS