kennytodd

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
Hello everyone,
I am getting ready to order all my parts for my first PC build but have one discrepancy. I cannot decide whether to go with the EVGA Geforce RTX 2070 Black, or the MSI Geforce RTX 2070 Armor 8G OC. Obviously both are 2070s but the MSi card is already overclocked to 1740 Mhz boost, while the EVGA card is stock boost at 1620 Mhz, both base clocks are the same at 1410 Mhz, and literally every other spec is the exact same between the two. Do I buy the EVGA and overclock it to just under the max I can, or do I buy the MSi and overclock it mildly? Keep in mind that the MSi card is $40 more, not a lot but $40 is $40. Hope someone can see it from where I stand. If you have any questions that would help better understand feel free to ask.
Thanks!

Solution
the fans on the MSI are larger and they have more blades. I suspect the better cooling is why MSI pushed these cards. overclocking is not guaranteed buy any parts expecting only to get the stock out of it. expecting a 10% overclock that never comes is foolish.
if the 40 bucks is worth a cooler slightly faster card, then go for it. if a little heat and stock speeds are fine to save you 40 dollars...

both have the same warranty and all other specs are the same as far as I can tell.
bigger fans, more blades, 120mhz.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
the fans on the MSI are larger and they have more blades. I suspect the better cooling is why MSI pushed these cards. overclocking is not guaranteed buy any parts expecting only to get the stock out of it. expecting a 10% overclock that never comes is foolish.
if the 40 bucks is worth a cooler slightly faster card, then go for it. if a little heat and stock speeds are fine to save you 40 dollars...

both have the same warranty and all other specs are the same as far as I can tell.
bigger fans, more blades, 120mhz.

Solution
Sometimes factory overclocked cards can not run stable and you have to downclock them.

General recommendation is to choose model with better cooling. Between EVGA Geforce RTX 2070 Black and MSI Geforce RTX 2070 Armor 8G OC - cooling is pretty similar.
Go with one, that costs less.