Stoic Seeks $200,000 For 'The Banner Saga 3' On Kickstarter

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstarr3

Distinguished
Shouldn't the sales of their previous two games be funding development of the third? Crowdfunding, but only as a last resort. And if you've already got two popular games to your name, you probably have other resources to tap first.

Why change a strategy that has worked for the first 2 games and probably made them a lot of money?

"I could buy a Porsche with my profits and use crowdfunding for my next game or get a Prius and pay for the next game with profits from the last games"

Nothing is inherently wrong with asking for crowdfunding.

Without Westinghouse backing Tesla we would all be using DC current in our power lines.

Westinghouse believed Tesla had a good idea and gave him money to make it real.

Of course the agreement was mutually beneficial, Westinghouse made money on the deal.

Without Westinghouse crowdfunding, or more appropriately angel investing, into Tesla's idea, it most likely would not have made it to fruition.

dstarr3

Distinguished
It's an ethical thing. They've got the resources to make a new game without resorting to e-begging, and they should. Crowdfunding is for getting an idea off the ground when there's no other way. For this third game, the franchise doesn't need "getting off the ground," it's already up. If after selling two popular games they're still hurting for money, there's some problem there that the core audience shouldn't bear the responsibility for.

That's just it.

The core audience wants to pay them for the game.

If the core audience thought crowdfunding for the 3rd time was a despicable, unethical travesty to gaming then they wouldn't "donate" any money.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
I think crowdfunding has become 'the standard' method for generating funding for many small indie's. Lots of folks are willing to support this studio so why would they change it? For those folks... it's basically pre-paying for the title, AND assuming the risk that it might blow up and they'll get nothing. For me... it'd take a title that I absolutely HAVE to have to get me assume risk for no reward (it's not like they get a price break... sure they get the game for $20 but it'll likely be available for half that at the first Steam sale after release), but I get why someone would be willing to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.