Stoke for upcoming games

jfizzle4321

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012
Between Diablo 3, Tera online, Secret World, and Guild Wars 2 there are a lot of games coming out that have been pretty hyped. Anybody hyped for these games and is there anybody who is interested in other games coming out?

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
The game that I'm pretty hyped for is actually Torchlight 2. I was a big Diablo 2 player, and after buying the Torchlight 2 pre-order and receiving a copy of Torchlight 1 as a gift for pre-ordering, I have to say that the game feels a lot more like Diablo 2 than D3 does. D3 is the anti-hype for me.

Other games I'm excited to see succeed are Tera and GW2. These are 2 that I won't be pre-ordering but I think they both have some promise. They're both real contenders in the MMO genre and compliment the genre more than exist solely in the shadow of WoW, like every other competitor has done thus far.

I'm also hoping to hear about a holiday release of Darkstalkers 4. In addition, Hawken has a Christmas release lined up and I think it's going to be a great game.

max pain 3 and not much else... everything i want wont be here till next year or the year after... which for me isnt a bad thing as i play to many games as it is... after all how do you think i rose so quickly in rep here...
time to get back to programming and my 3d art...

i was hoping tomb raider was coming to the pc but it looks like its gonna be console only...
rezident evil 6 also looks promising... but if its as poor as 5 i wont bother... till then il join a new clan as a casual member to play bf3

jfizzle4321

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012

I saw the video for Hawken but I forgot about it and I think I remember us all discussing that one a while ago on here somewhere. I was just thinking about how awesome it would be to have a game with mechs in it too. I was pretty excited about Tera but I saw recently the subscription fee was $35. I was considering getting it up until that point. I may have to try torchlight. I've been looking for a solid RPG. How is the storyline? Is there much voice-over work?

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

The Torchlight storyline is pretty cool. It doesn't feel like it's trying to emulate Diablo, and feels like good original IP. It's set to the tune of, "guys go digging for something, and dig too deep." The voice acting is pretty solid in my opinion, and TL2 will be using cutscenes animated by the guy who did the artwork for the Shank series. The cutscenes won't have that cinematic Blizzard look, but the gameplay is a lot more fun and the game starts off more challenging that D3 does. The fact that the Torchlight devs fully support community modding of the UI, skins, and textures goes a long way for me, as I think the modding scene will keep the game feeling fresh longer than D3 will for its fans. I was really impressed with the quality of their community's work. The HD Textures Pack for Torchlight 1 is really impressive. Stylistically I would say Torchlight series appears to me to be the visual appeal of Warcraft 3, re-envisioned in Diablo form. It has that nice colorful style where a blue color is lent to caverns, instead of a muddy taupe in D3's case.

I think all of that on top of the fact that the Torchlight devs are actually former members of Blizzard-North (aka, the original developers of Diablo and Diablo 2), the game is built on a solid foundation. Torchlight feels a lot more like Diablo 2 than D3 does, to me at least. For 19.99, it's a stupid good deal. The fact that they're giving people TL1 for free when they pre-order was what actually sold me though. I can tell they were confident that they would bring new people into the series with the offer, and suitably impress them with Torchlight 1. After logging 15 hours in TL1 I'm really hyped for TL2 in late June/early July.

After showing the deal to a few friends of mine, they actually hopped on board with me and pre-ordered as well. After playing TL1 they share my enthusiasm and I think out of the four of us, only one is still going to bother buying Diablo 3.

quick edit: By the way, the $35.00 subscription fee for Tera Online is for 3 months. 1 month is $14.99 =)

jfizzle4321

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012

Oh wow, thanks for that, ya I read it in a blog that wasn't on the site. Regardless though I'm not huge on subscriptions but then again GW2 is going to use real world $ to purchase gear; unimpressive. I saw the deal on steam you were talking about and I think I'm going to have to jump on that.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

The *promise* from Arenanet is that the real money gear will be for aesthetics only. The in-game currency is supposedly the only way to access the actual useful gear. Additionally, the in-game money can buy all of the aesthetic items that the real money transactions have access to. Conversely, the real money transactions do not have access to the actual pve and pvp gear. If they hold true to that claim, I think it's reasonable.

jfizzle4321

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012

I expect GW2 to be more polished upon its release too.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
For now GW2 is looking pretty rough in early beta, but it's executing some design principles well from what I have seen. Honestly, I went ahead and bought Tera and I'm pretty damned impressed with that game as well. I think it's refreshing to see 2 competent MMO's in the genre aside from WoW and EQ. Since GW2 has no monthly fee, I'm just going to play both Tera and GW2 personally.

jfizzle4321

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012

What makes Tera special? How is the gameplay, storyline, graphics etc?

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
It's built completely around gameplay. I don't care about the storyline and it doesn't seem to care that I don't care lol. I'm enjoying it, and the graphics look good for an MMO. Imagine a game that looks slightly better than Rift when it's maxed, but with competent gameplay and character controls.

long edit: I'd like to elaborate actually. Tera differs from WoW, Rift, EQ1 and 2, and Ultima in one key way. Tera actually feels like I'm playing a GAME. It doesn't shoehorn me into a lame Faction-War that I just don't care about (I'm not a lore person), and it leaves a lot of room with the political system concept and its taxation and spawn alterations for the players to make the story and make the conflict. That alone is a throw-back to old Text-MUDs for me, of which I was a long time player. And then there is the combat, which also feels like an actual video game instead of an exercise in unabated tedium. When I see attacks coming, I can dodge them. I don't mean telegraphed magic effects that are meant to be avoided at all costs. I mean standard melee attacks. Tera is the first MMO I've played to date that felt like a traditional video game that rewarded me on the premise that I was successful at controlling my character. This is really refreshing to me, as a long time multiplayer RPG player and relatively speaking, very high level World of Warcraft player for the majority of the game's existence.

There were things in Warcraft that I got excited for, obviously. Otherwise I wouldn't have continued to invest so much effort into mastering each class that I played not only in PVE but to a suitable degree in pvp (on my worst pvp character I was still a 2200 3's player, on my best I could play 2500's reliably in the latter seasons, so Rival to Duelist player which for a predominantly PVE player I feel is suitably competent). The main difference is that the things that made me smile in Warcraft were difficult group-based achievements either in raiding or Arena. The gameplay itself became boring a long time ago, and solo play felt borderline miserable to me in my later years in the WoW scene. With Tera, I feel like I'm legitimately enjoying myself as I perform basic leveling tasks on my character. It's just fun to play.

Without bashing WoW and Rift and all of the common names, I just wanted to take the chance to emphasize that Tera has gone out on a limb gameplay-wise, but the result has been a very refreshing experience that makes me want to keep logging back in. That's a lot of praise for a game that is only just preparing for its official Launch, but hopefully you'll believe me when I tell you that it's a tempered response conceived through an appropriate level of cynicism from an MMO veteran. I do not believe the game is for everyone, and fans of the standard target-based MMO's where you cycle abilities as the primary counter to incoming attacks will likely succumb to some frustration as one of the key principles of Tera revolves around the mindset of, "if you can move to avoid it, then move." The reason that I'm lavishing a considerable amount of praise on the game though, is for the fact that I really appreciate their aim to drastically change the way MMORPG's are played. I don't think target-based MMO gaming is going away any time soon, but from what I see in Tera, action-based gameplay is perfectly viable and legitimately fun for fans of that style of gameplay.

nocturnal7x

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
Im excited for Diablo 3, Guild wars 2, Counterstrike GO. I just heard of Carrier command Gaea Mission yesterday and pre-orderd it to get in on the beta. Its very beautiful, and very different. Im also excited for ARMA 3. Bohemia Interactive is gonna have a good fall w/ those two titles.

Oh, metro last night, and farcry 3 too :D

jfizzle4321

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012

Is that when Bohemia is releasing their titles?

jfizzle4321

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012

Nice feedback Casual. I'll have to look into a demo. I just downloaded DC online and that plays pretty well. It looks good on one monitor and looks good on 3 so I've enjoyed that, though I just recently installed Witcher 2 on my new rig so I've been enjoying playing that maxxed. I personally never got into WoW but I loved Age of Conan. I think that tried to do what you're saying Tera does but I don't think it executed in the manner you're saying Tera is executing. I'm going to make a decision on that one or GW2. I'll check out gameplay videos and such but I'm definitely getting one or the other.

fug1t

Honorable
May 2, 2012

I think I'd have to reiterate your statement. But Diablo 3 has me intrigued

I've been waiting on Ghost Recon: Future Soldier for nearly 2 years. And I'll have to wait an extra month to get it for PC- which makes me wonder how dumbed down it'll be to survive on the consoles. :cry: And definitely Far Cry 3, too.

Kietz

Honorable
May 2, 2012
I am really excited for Bioshock. Outside of that, Dishonored looks pretty interesting, from what I've seen anyway. Waiting on that one though. Don't give Bethesda too much credit when it comes to the games they publish . . . or even those they release, really.

I was pretty excited for Dragon's Dogma, but the demo left me less than impressed. Not sure on that one anymore.

Other than that, Borderlands 2, Assassin's Creed 3, and Sleeping Dogs all look really promising. I am definitely buying Borderlands if nothing else.

Then there's Halo 4, though I am waiting to see how that one turns out. Not going to get too excited until I see more from it.

Oops. Didn't notice the "pc gaming" until after I posted. :/

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Check out this gameplay video of a named world BAM (badass monster). Bear in mind, this is the Tera equivalent of Hogger if you ever played World of Warcraft, and this is not in a dungeon. This is in the open world, in a relatively low level zone. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWVwjnKcwKY

It's not my video but I ran into this hermit crab myself with a group of friends last night and had a blast with him.

jfizzle4321

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012

That looks pretty intense.

jfizzle4321

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012

I hear you on GW2. I remember when Aion first came out. It still looks awesome. I heard it's a ridiculous grindddd though.