STOP: 0x0000007b .... Inaccessible_boot_device

yaj

I was previously running Winnt4.0 in a dual PII cpu box.
It started locking up after 15-30 minutes and upon reboot
I would get an BSOD with a similar STOP error- did not say
Inaccessible boot device though. I upgraded to a Dell
Poweredge server and planned to install my original HDD
but all I get is this error, can you please help me get
right on what I need to address first. The software that
I have running on this server is old, we have misplaced
the SQL server CD and I have no backup. I realize that I
may be SOL but it is worth a try to recover from this
ID10T error.

the current BSOD error is as follows;

STOP: 0x0000007B
(0xf4013bd8,0xc0000034,0x0000000,0x0000000)
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

CPUID: GenuineIntel f.2.9 irql:0 SYSVER 0x0000565

Thanks in advance

Yaj

You can't move a Windows NT installation in this manner.
Windows NT uses a static HAL configuration, this STOP error
happens when Windows NT attempts to load the original disk
drivers on hardware that doesn't support that driver.
After this point Windows NT uses 32-bit drivers to access
the boot volume. A smiliar error is STOP 0xED
UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_DEVICE.
Return this hard disk drive to its original hardware and
follow the instructions here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;249694

For advise on troubleshooting STOP 0x7B bugchecks:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822052

If you have problems using standard migration methods (ie. uninstall all old
hw related software and drivers - especially video - before migration and,
if possible, install critical drivers for new hw -like disk and hal
drivers - immediately before last shutdown), try mimicry trick.

Be sure your window explorer is set to display all files and to display
known extensions (check Options settings in View menu, turn off hiding of
system/hidden files and hiding of known extensions).

Plug your disk to old hardware and use SCSI adapters applet from control
panels to identify driver file you are using (select your primary controller
on devices page and click on Properties button, select driver page in next
window to see driver file name).

If your old hardware is not functional enough, you need to use either
machine manual or off-line registry access through another NT based OS
instance to get this information. Run regedt32, select root key of HKLM or
HKU trees and choose Load hive function from Registry menu. Navigate to
system32\config folder of your original instance and select file named
system. Registry editor will ask you for unique name for this new tree, name
it TEMP. Now go to this TEMP tree and navigate to key Select and look for
value Default here. It is index of ControlSet00x tree that will be used
during next start. Navigate to this ControlSet00x tree, open Control/Class
key and look for subkey begining with {4D36E97B-..} (if it is not here,
simply look for subkey with value "Class" equal to "SCSIAdapter"). There is
subkey for each installed controller, under this subkey you can find name of
..inf file used for its installation, these files are saved in hidden INF
subfolder of main WINNT folder. Double click on this file, it will open in
Notepad and reveals name of service and driver file your disk driver is
using (look for values "CopyFiles", "AddService" and "ServiceBinary" related
to section given in InfSection value in registry).

Install secondary instance of your operating system on new machine
preferably to different disk or partition (if you use have only one disk
with only one partition, you can install secondary OS instance to different
folder on it, but in such case you should to apply the same servicepack
level and install exactly the same version of MSIE to this temporary
installation). Go to Control panels, run SCSI adapters applet and identify
disk driver file used by this OS instance. Go to SYSTEM32\drivers folder of
your original OS instance, rename your old driver (add .old to the end of
its name), copy new driver from system32\drivers folder of new OS instance
to original instance and rename this copy to name of original driver. If
there is old ntbootdd.sys file in root of C: partition, use similar
procedure - rename it (for ex. to ntbootdd.sys.old) and copy new driver here
and rename it to ntbootdd.sys.

You can also place your disk as secondary to any machine running any NT
Operating system to avoid doing of secondary installation. In such case you
need to identify right disk controller driver from manufacturer`s manual and
to use manufacturer`s installation disk to get right driver file. But do not
use w2K or WXP machine, they can update version of NTFS on your drive to
higher version incompatible with NT setup and lower servicepack (at least
SP4 is required for W2K and SP6 for WXP version of NTFS).

!!! Important !!! - after first successful start of old system on new
hardware install immediately new controller driver by regular way! Otherwise
it will be rewrited back to wrong one during next system repair or update
(servicepack) procedure! The same is valid for HAL and video drivers in case
you used secondary instance to replace them too.

luck

George
"Yaj" <keybard72@yahoo.com> píse v diskusním príspevku
> I was previously running Winnt4.0 in a dual PII cpu box.
> It started locking up after 15-30 minutes and upon reboot
> I would get an BSOD with a similar STOP error- did not say
> Inaccessible boot device though. I upgraded to a Dell
> Poweredge server and planned to install my original HDD
> but all I get is this error, can you please help me get
> right on what I need to address first. The software that
> I have running on this server is old, we have misplaced
> the SQL server CD and I have no backup. I realize that I
> may be SOL but it is worth a try to recover from this
> ID10T error.
>
> the current BSOD error is as follows;
>
> STOP: 0x0000007B
> (0xf4013bd8,0xc0000034,0x0000000,0x0000000)
> INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
>
> CPUID: GenuineIntel f.2.9 irql:0 SYSVER 0x0000565
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Yaj

I forget a one thing - If you use loadhive function to access registry of
off-line OS instance, after finishing of information gathering do not forget
to select root key of this temporary tree (ie. TEMP in this case) and choose
unload hive fuction from registry menu. Especially if you do this in another
machine.