STOP: 0x0000007E new HDD

chadvador

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
Hey guys, I have been trying to install a solid state drive for my friend while hes gone but I've been running into some trouble. I have been getting a bsod with the technical information: *** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xFFFFFFFF80000003, 0xFFFFF8000CE1F5C8, 0xFFFFF880009A8508, 0xFFFFF880009A7C30). It always hits as the windows splash screen is loading, but doesn't seem to get past it.

I have searched the forums for this but the parameters after 0x7E are always different and under different circumstances. Here is a little background. I first tried just booting a windows 7 disk since you can format a drive from there. My plan was to wipe the HHD currently running windows 7 and install a new windows 7 on the solid state, but right away this error hit. So I popped it in my computer and formatted it fine, thinking this would solve the problem, but same error again in his computer. So I installed windows 7 on hissolid state in my computer and it worked fine running on my computer, and I tried to just move the SSD over to his and use the HDD as a slave but I can't even boot the SSD alone on his computer (getting the same error) even though it works fine on mine. Any ideas what this error code means? Because I can't find this specific one at all.

Unfortunately I am away from my apartment for the day so I don't have the specs on hand but are there any common causes of this error?

Thanks a lot!

Solution
I was not saying to place a debug binary on your system, I said the error indicated that you have a debug binary with a hard coded break point and no debugger connected. the machine will boot, stop and wait for a external debugger to connect before the system will continue by hitting g in the debugger.

- check the advance boot options for debug settings
maybe use bcdedit with the /nodebug option
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557133(v=vs.85).aspx

-you can connect up a external machine, running windbg.exe and connect to the laptop with it. type k, to see the stack trace on what driver made the call, and g to go. windbg.exe is in the windows standalone debugger sdk...
0x80000003: STATUS_BREAKPOINT indicates a breakpoint or ASSERT was encountered when no kernel debugger was attached to the system.

do you have a debug verson of a binary installed? I would safe mode boot, grab the crash dump and take a look at where it is breaking.

chadvador

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
I reseated all the cabling and updated the bios, same error. The mobo is an MSI 990FXA-GD65. johnbl, is that even possible with a window 7 installer? The SSD is blank, I'm trying to install from a dvd with a windows 7 installer on it.

Thanks for the responses guys!

chadvador

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
Just in case its worth mentioning the SSD is a kingston SV300S37A 120g

sure, you can place debug binaries with hard coded break points in a build image. you would not want to but
depends on who built the image and your boot options. I would guess you could even use a debug BIOS or other firmware. Or the error could be bogus, you don't know until you check for corruption in the debug image.

chadvador

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
Could you walk me through how exactly to do this? Or link a page that describes it? Thanks!

I was not saying to place a debug binary on your system, I said the error indicated that you have a debug binary with a hard coded break point and no debugger connected. the machine will boot, stop and wait for a external debugger to connect before the system will continue by hitting g in the debugger.

- check the advance boot options for debug settings
maybe use bcdedit with the /nodebug option
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557133(v=vs.85).aspx

-you can connect up a external machine, running windbg.exe and connect to the laptop with it. type k, to see the stack trace on what driver made the call, and g to go. windbg.exe is in the windows standalone debugger sdk.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/hh852365.aspx i would configure the machine for debugging over the network, install the debugger on another machine and connect.

-my guess is that someone installed a debug version of a driver by mistake. or a non retail version of windows.
a debug binary with a hardcoded break point will always stop the system in exactly the same place on each boot
( or the error code is incorrect)

Solution