Stop applications from using paging (page?) file

enirox

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
Bought new PC, testing out some games and I've noticed a strange problem - low framerate with pretty low usage of CPU/GPU/HDD after running for a while. After checking what could be the bottleneck I realised that the game was actually using up 8.9GB of memory, while I have 8 GB of RAM. So to my understanding, it starts using the paging file ( which was on Samsung Evo SSD, which is at least faster than my WD Black), and the performance drops.

If I disable the paging file, everything runs good until the game uses up 8+ GB of memory, and then it crashes + I get Windows error message saying I am out of memory.

So, is there a way to somehow force the use of paging file only for Windows services, and try to reuse the RAM for games/applications to keep the performance? Thank You.

Solution
windows is a paging operating system, even if you disable the external page file, windows will set aside some RAM and create a place for the OS to page to.

You can stop services, you can use RAMMAP.exe and empty the working set to remove default preloads into RAM.
Generally, if an app uses all of your memory, I exit the app and see if all the memory is returned back to the system.
If it is not then you have a bug in a device driver and you have to figure out which driver and update it.
If the memory is returned back to the system then it is most likely an app problem and you look for a update to the app.

you could also just add more physical RAM and get your game to run longer before it crashes. (if you can not get a game or driver...
windows is a paging operating system, even if you disable the external page file, windows will set aside some RAM and create a place for the OS to page to.

You can stop services, you can use RAMMAP.exe and empty the working set to remove default preloads into RAM.
Generally, if an app uses all of your memory, I exit the app and see if all the memory is returned back to the system.
If it is not then you have a bug in a device driver and you have to figure out which driver and update it.
If the memory is returned back to the system then it is most likely an app problem and you look for a update to the app.

you could also just add more physical RAM and get your game to run longer before it crashes. (if you can not get a game or driver update)

most games should not crash when they start to use virtual memory. I would assume there is a bug that the game is hitting that causes the crash.

Solution

enirox

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
The game doesn't crash when using virtual memory, only if I disable page file. It then uses up all the available physical memory and crashes + the Windows out of memory message.

I was asking because if I keep using virtual memory the performance suffers after it exceeds 8GB (physical), and maybe there was some way to give the OS it's needed 1-2GB and force the application to use only the leftover of the physical memory.