[SOLVED] stop code whea bsod

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mgwhitt

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
I7 4790
980 ti
memtest86 4 passes 0 errors( only one 8gb )
ran blue screen viewer and the highlighted problems were hal.dll, nostoskrnl.exe , pshed.dll
currently running prime 95 for about an hour with temps staying around 75 c
planing on doing gpu stress test after prime 95.. any help is greatly appreciated. pretty sure i have tried other things as well such as upgraded windows to newest version and updated all drivers . updated drivers with driver booster 6

Solution
Mostly, it can't be, but there WERE some early BIOS versions that allowed for some exceptions.

I'm sure that's not the case but still it's a five year old system and you've no idea how hard it was pushed or anything else. If it were ME, I'd probably replace the PSU first and if that doesn't fix the problem I'd pull the CPU to check for bent pins. You have no idea if somebody else pulled the CPU to replace thermal paste, or whatever, and maybe got a bent pin on the motherboard. That would certainly, possibly, fit this kind of weird scenario where nothing seems to be wrong, yet is. PSU can certainly cause that as well.

What is your graphics card model?

What country are you in?

How much can you afford to put towards a power supply...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Lets see how it fairs with the GPU removed still, how long have you had the PSU?
May be worth running HWInfo and just checking voltages on the 12v, 3.3, and 5V rails - the software isn't the BEST way of checking voltages, but it's a good indicator. You'll want to check the MIn and MAX on each rail whilst under load.

Also agree the peripherals are a big culprit, I also had a similar issue that turned out to be my mouse.

Reactions: Mgwhitt

Mgwhitt

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
Lets see how it fairs with the GPU removed still, how long have you had the PSU?
May be worth running HWInfo and just checking voltages on the 12v, 3.3, and 5V rails - the software isn't the BEST way of checking voltages, but it's a good indicator. You'll want to check the MIn and MAX on each rail whilst under load.

Also agree the peripherals are a big culprit, I also had a similar issue that turned out to be my mouse.
I agree with leaving gpu out. (Even though pc is useless to me without it) also what’s the best way to put it under load while running hwinfo? I bought this pc off someone random so I literally know nothing about it (got screwed) but being optimistic I figured I could fix it and make it work.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I agree with leaving gpu out. (Even though pc is useless to me without it) also what’s the best way to put it under load while running hwinfo? I bought this pc off someone random so I literally know nothing about it (got screwed) but being optimistic I figured I could fix it and make it work.
Well I would say reserve this till after the GPU being removed, as you'll probably want to stress test with the GPU in. Faulty PSUs will more likely fault under load with a GPU in place being as it's what tends to draw the most power on a typical system.

However you can simply run HWInfo for now in the background and just see if anything abnormal pops up.

Mgwhitt

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
Well I would say reserve this till after the GPU being removed, as you'll probably want to stress test with the GPU in. Faulty PSUs will more likely fault under load with a GPU in place being as it's what tends to draw the most power on a typical system.

However you can simply run HWInfo for now in the background and just see if anything abnormal pops up.

From the sensor

3.3v min and max both at 3.345
12v min 12.024 max 12.096
5v min and max both at 5.100

Mgwhitt

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
ok so now im more confused than ever... i received the blue screen of death(whea stop code) while browsing the internet looking at possible replacements for my gpu (lol) first one in like a week. this is with my gpu out.

Colif

Win 11 Master
my hardware errors were the restarts I did trying to get screen to start again after it shutdown.

Just cause mine was a mouse doesn't mean yours is. Its just possible its not the mouse. I only found it was mine as it started to play up after I did a clean install of windows in my effort to stop screen turning off. Mouse stopped turning off its led lights at night, so i replaced it and screen stopped turning off.

If pc is running off motherboard, it seems to me that USB/PCI E system is somehow linked and the blank screens only affect GPU plugged into motherboard, not ones built into CPU. So I don't think it proves it is the GPU by having it out of PC, you would need to test it in another PC and see if it behaves same

Have you noticed any USB disconnect sounds when it happens? I had 5 months to try to figure mine out, it didn't always restart. I could go weeks and not have a restart, just start to think its fixed and it would happen again. Frustrating

Mgwhitt

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
my hardware errors were the restarts I did trying to get screen to start again after it shutdown.

Just cause mine was a mouse doesn't mean yours is. Its just possible its not the mouse. I only found it was mine as it started to play up after I did a clean install of windows in my effort to stop screen turning off. Mouse stopped turning off its led lights at night, so i replaced it and screen stopped turning off.

If pc is running off motherboard, it seems to me that USB/PCI E system is somehow linked and the blank screens only affect GPU plugged into motherboard, not ones built into CPU. So I don't think it proves it is the GPU by having it out of PC, you would need to test it in another PC and see if it behaves same

Have you noticed any USB disconnect sounds when it happens? I had 5 months to try to figure mine out, it didn't always restart. I could go weeks and not have a restart, just start to think its fixed and it would happen again. Frustrating

5 mins after pc restated got another bsod uncorrectable error ...so your saying its a possibility that the 980 ti is still defected?no usb sounds. i do get a crashing sound when pc blue screens.. but no different sounds when it black screens .. would trying a different pci e slot do anything? also something i noticed on my last black screen that i forgot to mention is my keyboard works if i unplug my xbox controller from usb power. the whole usb thing got me racking my brain

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
ok so now im more confused than ever... i received the blue screen of death(whea stop code) while browsing the internet looking at possible replacements for my gpu (lol) first one in like a week. this is with my gpu out.
So it still occured with the GPU removed?

Do you use a WiFi/Internet card at all?
Do you have the dump file? Sometimes the dump files I can run some extra commands and find out some more info (if we're lucky).

Colif

Win 11 Master
also something i noticed on my last black screen that i forgot to mention is my keyboard works if i unplug my xbox controller from usb power

I am not sure I understand? are you saying keyboard doesn't work if XBox plugged in? Xbox is USB, as are kb, mouse... just cause mine was a mouse doesn't mean it can't another USB device in your case. Xbox controller drivers built into 10, so they won't show in the crash lists as we generally ignore parts of windows.

WHEA can be any hardware, including things plugged into USB.

just saying, is Xbox controller always plugged in?

We pretty much tested everything inside PC now. so looking outside it :)

Mgwhitt

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
I am not sure I understand? are you saying keyboard doesn't work if XBox plugged in? Xbox is USB, as are kb, mouse... just cause mine was a mouse doesn't mean it can't another USB device in your case. Xbox controller drivers built into 10, so they won't show in the crash lists as we generally ignore parts of windows.

WHEA can be any hardware, including things plugged into USB.

just saying, is Xbox controller always plugged in?

We pretty much tested everything inside PC now. so looking outside it :)
yes the xbox controller is always plugged in ... but i unplugged it during last black screen and i got my pc to reboot using alt ctrl del through keyboard ... also tried it before i unplugged controller and my key board was unresponsive

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try running without the Xbox controller and see if it makes any difference. How old is controller??

yours could be two things as in my case I wasn't getting BSOD, which is one reason it took us 5 months as I am sure I could have gotten somewhere faster with BSOD.

I keep thinking its the PSU but its not going to force the GPU drivers to stop, it just turns screen off without those things happening. It is only part inside PC we haven't tested.

Since you BSOD with GPU out, you could probably put it back in since its obviously not the cause.

I took my PC to a shop and they tested it for 2 days, it was fine. Thing is you never take peripherals to shop so if errors caused by things you plug in, you just wasting money getting it tested. Though at least it proved it wasn't PC. It didn't clear up why.

Mgwhitt

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
Try running without the Xbox controller and see if it makes any difference. How old is controller??

yours could be two things as in my case I wasn't getting BSOD, which is one reason it took us 5 months as I am sure I could have gotten somewhere faster with BSOD.

I keep thinking its the PSU but its not going to force the GPU drivers to stop, it just turns screen off without those things happening. It is only part inside PC we haven't tested.

Since you BSOD with GPU out, you could probably put it back in since its obviously not the cause.

I took my PC to a shop and they tested it for 2 days, it was fine. Thing is you never take peripherals to shop so if errors caused by things you plug in, you just wasting money getting it tested. Though at least it proved it wasn't PC. It didn't clear up why.

controller is practically brand new (xbox elite there so bad i buy a new one every 6 months or so ) ill put gpu back in and test it again with hwinfo (while under load).

Mgwhitt

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
@PC Tailor ran heaven benchmark let it finish the the bench.. and these are our voltages (let it continue to run while i recorded stats)

3.3 min 3.265 max3.305
12 min 11.592 max 11.808
5 min 5.138 max 5.160

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
5 min .138 max 5.160

thats way low on the 5 volt, its not supposed to get down that far

ATX standards specify that power supplies have a +/- 5% maximum variance tolerance on each rail. For each rail, the voltages s hould be in between:

5 VDC

+4.75 V to +5.25 V

−5 VDC

–4.50 V to –5.50 V

+12 VDC

+11.40 V to +12.60 V

−12 VDC

–10.8 V to –13.2 V

+3.3 VDC

+3.135 V to +3.465 V

+5 VSB

+4.75 V to +5.25 V

https://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=59610

USB uses 5 volt

You likely need a new PSU

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have converted the 2 dumps and you can see the full (new and improved!) reports below:

Dump 1: https://pste.eu/p/wOFl.html
Dump 2: https://pste.eu/p/HX5C.html

Summary of findings:
BUGCHECK_CODE: 124

Bugcheck Description:
WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
"This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).

Parameter 1 identifies the type of error source that reported the error. Parameter 2 holds the address of the WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure that describes the error condition.

When a hardware error occurs, WHEA creates an error record to store the error information associated with the hardware error condition. "

About your bugcheck:
"A WHEA ERROR is almost solely hardware based. It is possible in rare circumstances for this to be a driver, however it is very unlikely. It is often caused by:
  • Component overheating
  • Unstable overclocking or XMP profile
  • Faulty hardware"

Some things to consider:
I would highly advise you to view the full report above, as this will contain much more detail as to the bugcheck and modules running at the time.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i don't know if missing all those tags in dump is a hindrance to understanding results. Thats at PC, raw dump files shows missing Flags?

I don't know what this means - FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x124_GenuineIntel_PROCESSOR_MAE_INTERNAL_UNCLASSIFIED

mostly the MAE Internal Unclassified part. rest is error code and what type of CPU you have.

Both blaming the system.

Have I ever told you I hate WHEA errors? they can be anything...I wish axe was around.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
i don't know if missing all those tags in dump is a hindrance to understanding results. Thats at PC, raw dump files shows missing Flags?
For this purpose the flags shouldn't make a difference, however may make diagnosis harder if I dig into the WHEA record. I'll be honest, the flags are part of what I am trying to learn more of, but frankly there is little information, other than when they are present and readable, it gives more info, if they are not there, you simply do have that info.

Ultimately for the purpose of the report, the symbols are the important bit, and they're verified.

mostly the MAE Internal Unclassified part.
MAE = Memory Access Enabled which is referring to CPU granting memory access.
The internal unclassified basically means you would have to reference the Whea log error to Intel's own documentation, I believe unclassified means they haven't publicly released it, so it's only useful if you sent it to Intel directly.

So with some WHEA where it is a Machine Check Exception, you can find the relevant lookup documentation and find out the coded fault as part of the CPU architecture, but usually it's not publicly available.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
wonder if @gardenman and you should but heads and figure that out then... runs away :)

Not sure if his conversions might see something else. we need someone who understands what it all means, I do my best but actually knowing would be nice.
I am currently undertaking lots of studying of it so my knowledge is gradually expanding, thus knowing the WHEA element above, so over time hopefully I'll be able to shed more light. But even then, i also have several books on advanced debugging and none of them mention anything about the importance of flags.

So I am currently going through more advanced WHEA checking, which requires much more commands and human interface than a report can throw - but i will gradually update it :)

Where his dump will pull more info out might be on the System Info - as currently the latest WinDbg update has ruined some commands (a bug, not removed) so currently the system info scan doesn't work, which I have raised to MS.

Gardenmans previous version debugger will still be fine with it. As for modules etc. - I am regularly cross referencing mine with Gardenmans and as of current I've yet to see an error (outside of just more driver definitions / Microsoft / Third party etc.)

Last edited: