[SOLVED] stop code whea bsod

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mgwhitt

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
I7 4790
980 ti
memtest86 4 passes 0 errors( only one 8gb )
ran blue screen viewer and the highlighted problems were hal.dll, nostoskrnl.exe , pshed.dll
currently running prime 95 for about an hour with temps staying around 75 c
planing on doing gpu stress test after prime 95.. any help is greatly appreciated. pretty sure i have tried other things as well such as upgraded windows to newest version and updated all drivers . updated drivers with driver booster 6

Solution
Mostly, it can't be, but there WERE some early BIOS versions that allowed for some exceptions.

I'm sure that's not the case but still it's a five year old system and you've no idea how hard it was pushed or anything else. If it were ME, I'd probably replace the PSU first and if that doesn't fix the problem I'd pull the CPU to check for bent pins. You have no idea if somebody else pulled the CPU to replace thermal paste, or whatever, and maybe got a bent pin on the motherboard. That would certainly, possibly, fit this kind of weird scenario where nothing seems to be wrong, yet is. PSU can certainly cause that as well.

What is your graphics card model?

What country are you in?

How much can you afford to put towards a power supply...

Colif

Win 11 Master
So if they had PC for a week, and it was still bsod while they had it, what were they doing with it exactly? Didn't they swap out parts to see if they could stop the BSOD?

Hardware repair shops rarely dig into the OS, they instead replace hardware figuring that will fix problem. Sad when people get more or less a brand new PC and the problem is caused by one of the parts they kept.

disable or remove hwinfo and run DV again. I very much doubt it was that program. WHEA errors are almost always hardware drivers, and although HWINFO monitors hardware, it doesn't change any settings (as far as I know, I mean, I haven't looked deep into it) if you just run it as a monitor

Apart from the latest Nvidia drivers which are suspect but aren't cause since this started in August and PC crashes when GPU isn't in it (I think)

i have asked for a 2nd opinion. see if anyone else can see what we missed.

Last edited:
Only nice thing about DB

Don't say that, it offends me. There is more than one nice thing about me, or at least I hope there is.

Oh, you meant driver booster? Yeah, don't use that.

Without having to fully read through five pages of previous posts and scrutinize each of them (I scanned them, quickly), can you quickly outline exactly what has been done so far ASIDE from any BSOD dump translations.

Is this an old build that has been together for a long time and never had any problems until recently, or new old parts that were recently assembled and the problem began after that?

What is the EXACT model of your power supply? (Saw your voltage readings. Don't necessarily mean anything though. Problem can easily be intermittent)

How OLD is the power supply?

Has the CPU been OUT of the motherboard at ANY point in time between when the problems started and when the system had no problems?

Have you run FOUR passes of all 11 tests in Memtest86 AND run the Extended test in Windows memory diagnostic?

Does this problem happen ONLY when the discreet graphics card is installed or will it also occur when running off the integrated CPU graphics?

At ANY point, has a new power supply OR motherboard been swapped in to eliminate those as the source of the problem?

Different memory?

Different graphics card?

Different peripherals, such as mouse and keyboard?

Sorry if any of these questions, or all of them, have already been asked but fresh eyes need fresh answers. Too much to absorb from five previous pages, probably even for those who were part of it. Let's get the answers to all of these questions in one place. Thanks.

Reactions: PC Tailor

Colif

Win 11 Master
Was easier to track long threads on old software as page length was longer. It does get difficult to keep track of what we have tried already and its why i made up a checklist... probably posted a copy of it in here somewhere.
I will let op answer those questions

Did I mean Driver Booster? Maybe :)

Mgwhitt

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
@Darkbreeze
dont know anything about the history of this machine..i acquired this pc about a month or so ago.
Psu- GXII 750W
Memtest86 - ran 4 passes all 11 test twice with 0 errors
ran memory diagnostics 0 errors
Gpu - bsod with or without discrete graphics card
have not swapped psu or motherboard out
I have tried different peripherals.
took pc to a repair shop. I was told my hard drive was in pre failure and reccommend installing ssd.i install ssd myself but didnt solve the bsod . from the things just listed im honestly leaning towards motherboard

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
@Darkbreeze
dont know anything about the history of this machine..i acquired this pc about a month or so ago.
Psu- GXII 750W
Memtest86 - ran 4 passes all 11 test twice with 0 errors
ran memory diagnostics 0 errors
Gpu - bsod with or without discrete graphics card
have not swapped psu or motherboard out
I have tried different peripherals.
took pc to a repair shop. I was told my hard drive was in pre failure and reccommend installing ssd.i install ssd myself but didnt solve the bsod . from the things just listed im honestly leaning towards motherboard
Well you'd be leaning towards the PSU, MB, or CPU now.
I Know some other GX models from CM weren't great quality - but I'm not 100% sure on the GXII.
Realistically there is no way to truly tell without swapping the component and retesting.

Depending on the age of the PC I'd be tempted to look at PSU. But we aren't sure of the history.
WHEA can be generated from any component, just is usually called by the CPU.

Reactions: Mgwhitt
Well, for one thing that power supply is not Haswell compliant, meaning it's a poor choice for any Haswell or newer Intel platform, PLUS, the fact that it is an old group regulated design from what I can determine through commentary about it and the GXII Pro indicate that that unit probably has significantly worse crossloading problems than even the Seasonic and Antec 520/620w models. That crossloading could potentially be a factor in your BSOD problems but MORE likely is the fact that that unit was HIGHLY mediocre to begin with, and is now approximately five years old. I'd replace it before doing ANYTHING else, because there is a very good chance that it IS the problem. It might NOT be, but even if it isn't, it should be replaced before you end up seeing some sort of damage to your other hardware when it decides to kick the bucket.

Since you don't know the history of this PC it's pointless to ask whether it's been run under overclocked conditions for a good portion of it's life, because if it has, then there is of course an increased probability that either the motherboard or CPU have degraded to the point of intermittent failure/errors, but it seems unlikely since it passes Memtest and windows memory diagnostic. Have you run the Intel processor diagnostic tool? If PSU doesn't solve the problem, then I'd just scrap the platform and move on because a decent board, new, will cost too much compared to simply upgrading to something newer. There is no point in paying 65% of the cost of what it would take to upgrade, just to fix a five year old system. IMO. If you are inclined to try a USED board in there, then of course that's an option and could make sense but in many cases that too is a waste because most used boards you will find have probably already seen the majority of their useful lives pass by anyhow.

PSU is never a waste because it can be repurposed into any replacement or future build anyhow.

Reactions: PC Tailor

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wish I had known this but my excuse for not asking is I just assumed it was your old system. Its about 3 months ago as this thread started in August. If you had mentioned it, it sure would put doubt on the things Darkbreeze said, you just don't know what it was used for before you got it. Its the risk you taking buying 2nd hand (Or whatever circumstances were).

I might not have spent time looking at peripherals.

Mgwhitt

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
@Darkbreeze
what psu would you recommend? also i thought that my processor couldn't be overclocked as it isn't the k version. yes, i have ran intel diagnostic with 0 errors.can i disable something in bios for this c- states that may cause the issue? never had an issue waking the pc up its always while in use.
@Colif it is mentioned in post before but could easily been over looked.

Last edited:
Mostly, it can't be, but there WERE some early BIOS versions that allowed for some exceptions.

I'm sure that's not the case but still it's a five year old system and you've no idea how hard it was pushed or anything else. If it were ME, I'd probably replace the PSU first and if that doesn't fix the problem I'd pull the CPU to check for bent pins. You have no idea if somebody else pulled the CPU to replace thermal paste, or whatever, and maybe got a bent pin on the motherboard. That would certainly, possibly, fit this kind of weird scenario where nothing seems to be wrong, yet is. PSU can certainly cause that as well.

What country are you in?

How much can you afford to put towards a power supply, realistically?

Solution

Mgwhitt

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019

What country are you in?

How much can you afford to put towards a power supply, realistically?
i have removed cpu and check for bent pins. everything looks really good. did this a couple days ago
gpu is a gigabyte windforce 980 ti . im in the United States with a weird sleep schedule.
realistically, i have already spent to much on this pc but it needs to be fixed. but if psu doesnt fix i would like to be able to use it for future project.

Probably. So, for that system I'd recommend you look at 650-750w models and try to stick to units recommended by me here. I'm sure others have their own opinions as well but you won't go wrong adhering to these recommendations either.