[SOLVED] stop code whea bsod

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mgwhitt

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
I7 4790
980 ti
memtest86 4 passes 0 errors( only one 8gb )
ran blue screen viewer and the highlighted problems were hal.dll, nostoskrnl.exe , pshed.dll
currently running prime 95 for about an hour with temps staying around 75 c
planing on doing gpu stress test after prime 95.. any help is greatly appreciated. pretty sure i have tried other things as well such as upgraded windows to newest version and updated all drivers . updated drivers with driver booster 6

Solution
Mostly, it can't be, but there WERE some early BIOS versions that allowed for some exceptions.

I'm sure that's not the case but still it's a five year old system and you've no idea how hard it was pushed or anything else. If it were ME, I'd probably replace the PSU first and if that doesn't fix the problem I'd pull the CPU to check for bent pins. You have no idea if somebody else pulled the CPU to replace thermal paste, or whatever, and maybe got a bent pin on the motherboard. That would certainly, possibly, fit this kind of weird scenario where nothing seems to be wrong, yet is. PSU can certainly cause that as well.

What is your graphics card model?

What country are you in?

How much can you afford to put towards a power supply...

Colif

Win 11 Master
ram - checked
cpu - checked
GPU - checked (well, passed benchmarks)

check hdd - https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=3&lang=en

running out of easy things to check? Anything we haven't mentioned apart from PSU & Motherboard?

How to check PSU -
the paper clip method - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/what-is-the-paperclip-method-of-testing-a-psu.1336402/

or multimeter,

or in the BIOS to check the +3.3V, +5V, and +12V. - https://www.lifewire.com/power-supply-voltage-tolerances-2624583

you can't check MOtherboard. Could try the BIOS update I said not to before, it would be strange for it to suddenly be problem after 4 years though.

Mgwhitt

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
@Colif check bios and psu is running between the min and maximum on all 3 voltages . Also ran dlgdiag passed on the quick test.and on the extended test... i have noticed in other threads that you should run memtest86 for 8 passes..i only ran through 4 passes.. would this be something yo would suggest before updating bios

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
@Colif check bios and psu is running between the min and maximum on all 3 voltages . Also ran dlgdiag passed on the quick test.and on the extended test... i have noticed in other threads that you should run memtest86 for 8 passes..i only ran through 4 passes.. would this be something yo would suggest before updating bios
The only thing to bear in mind is that checking the voltages at that point doesn't induce load. Most faulty PSUs start faulting when under load, so this by no means means the PSU is working normally, just it is working normally when not stressed. So it's still not technically off the table.

I'd expect 4 passes to be enough in most cases, sometimes 8 passes is needed but 95% of problems are usually found in just 4. I'd suspect the BIOS update is an easy step to take at this point, yes it technically holds risks, but as long as the PC doesn't shut down during, you should be fine. And many WHEAs often go back to hardware or firmware, updating the BIOS is a quick way of identifying if it is a firmware conflict IMO.

Did you check storage drives?

Mgwhitt

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
The only thing to bear in mind is that checking the voltages at that point doesn't induce load. Most faulty PSUs start faulting when under load, so this by no means means the PSU is working normally, just it is working normally when not stressed. So it's still not technically off the table.

I'd expect 4 passes to be enough in most cases, sometimes 8 passes is needed but 95% of problems are usually found in just 4. I'd suspect the BIOS update is an easy step to take at this point, yes it technically holds risks, but as long as the PC doesn't shut down during, you should be fine. And many WHEAs often go back to hardware or firmware, updating the BIOS is a quick way of identifying if it is a firmware conflict IMO.

Did you check storage drives?
Yes check my 1tb WD hard drive with data lifeguard diagnostic for windows and it passed the extended test

Colif

Win 11 Master
(trying to recall what we've covered previously)

everything... its why I did the list in 1st post this page, apart from update bios, we have tested it all.
CPU - Prime & Intel
Ram - memtest
GPU - Furmark & uninengine
HD - WD tool
PSU - well, at rest anyway. Could get them to run HWINFO and log sensor scores to see if there is a variance under load
Motherboard - N/A no tests for motherboards

PSU and Mobo hardest things and left till last as without spares, they hard to confirm.

See how BIOS update goes, they can fix WHEA. I just don't rush into them if PC was working fine before.

Reactions: PC Tailor

Mgwhitt

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
update i have disabled my windows game bar (toggling off recording games clips) my pc hasnt bsod in in 3 going on 4 days... trying not to jnx it with this post... curious what you think about this @Colif

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
update i have disabled my windows game bar (toggling off recording games clips) my pc hasnt bsod in in 3 going on 4 days... trying not to jnx it with this post... curious what you think about this @Colif
What exactly do you use the game bar for? Recording? Wondering what hardware it could interact with to cause a WHEA.

I'd sooner suspect the game bar could be conflicting with something else but if removing it resolves the conflict then all good. Let's see how it goes.

Mgwhitt

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
What exactly do you use the game bar for? Recording? Wondering what hardware it could interact with to cause a WHEA.

I'd sooner suspect the game bar could be conflicting with something else but if removing it resolves the conflict then all good. Let's see how it goes.
I was using it for party chat with friends on Xbox but I am now using Xbox companion. So for now I really don’t need it. Thanks for the reply!

Mgwhitt

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
Today my pc black screened and went into reboot constantly. After 3rd reboot it game me options to reset pc. I followed instructions to reset. After recent only thing I have done is turn game bar off. Will continue to give updates. What are the first steps after resetting pc? Drivers? Windows update? Or just wait to see if problems come up first.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Today my pc black screened and went into reboot constantly. After 3rd reboot it game me options to reset pc. I followed instructions to reset. After recent only thing I have done is turn game bar off. Will continue to give updates. What are the first steps after resetting pc? Drivers? Windows update? Or just wait to see if problems come up first.
Wait and see, install windows updates.

That would suggest some core OS corruption occured. No necessary guarantee that a reset will work off the recovery though, could reinstall the same problem. So will just have to wait and see.

What were you doing when it black screened?

Mgwhitt

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
Wait and see, install windows updates.

That would suggest some core OS corruption occured. No necessary guarantee that a reset will work off the recovery though, could reinstall the same problem. So will just have to wait and see.

What were you doing when it black screened?
I was watching twitch on Firefox probably had it on for 10 min or so

Mgwhitt

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
@PC Tailor @Colif My pc went to black screen while playing fort nite. It didn’t restart it just black screened. Pc is still on just no display. Can’t get to task manager. Going to wait for more info before I do anything
update : manually shut down pc , rebooted and was doing research on black screens and it did it again.. im so confused now i went from the blue screen of death to black? curious and eager to get this pc running well . thanks for any and all help!

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
is monitor turning off? Or can you see a backlit? Does it show a no signal error?

in reliability history (just search for reliability, is it showing any other errors apart from event 41? Its possible its the drivers stop working and windows swaps to the basic drivers and they may not be able to power screen (been there). It just turns screen off at this stage as drivers may not be good enough to display screen

can you test GPU works in another PC? We tested it with 2 benchmarks, not much more you can do apart from try another PC as well. I would be tempted to remove GPU, and use the monitor connectors on motherboard just to see if it keeps turning off without GPU in PC (you may need to turn these on in bios before swap,

Mgwhitt

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
is monitor turning off? Or can you see a backlit? Does it show a no signal error?

in reliability history (just search for reliability, is it showing any other errors apart from event 41? Its possible its the drivers stop working and windows swaps to the basic drivers and they may not be able to power screen (been there). It just turns screen off at this stage as drivers may not be good enough to display screen

can you test GPU works in another PC? We tested it with 2 benchmarks, not much more you can do apart from try another PC as well. I would be tempted to remove GPU, and use the monitor connectors on motherboard just to see if it keeps turning off without GPU in PC (you may need to turn these on in bios before swap,
Monitor is on , just looks like it disconnects. No errors on screen( that I can see ) still here audio. In reliability history only thing I see other then apps I had open ( Spotify, epic games) bad_module_info ,dwm.exe, desktop window manager

Mgwhitt

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
@PC Tailor Cooler Master GX II pro 750 watt , honestlt i dont belive i was patient enough when i had the gpu out .... i didn't receive bsod with it out ... but belive it was out for less than 24 hr @ colif i used ddu in safe mode to uninstall nvidia driver .( waiting to see if this helps) thanks for all the help! you guys are amazing!
update: pc black screened after install of display drivers.. i have now removed gpu and patiently waiting to see if it black screens

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
dwm.exe, desktop window manager - how many times? What can happen is it tries to open the display driver a few times and once it fails to, it swaps to using the basic drivers which can't display what was on screen and shows a blank screen. This happened to me.

for example
RR7dsKY.jpg

without BSOD its a pain to work out. MIne ended up being caused by my mouse. It took 5 months to work that out.

Reactions: PC Tailor

Mgwhitt

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
dwm.exe, desktop window manager - how many times? What can happen is it tries to open the display driver a few times and once it fails to, it swaps to using the basic drivers which can't display what was on screen and shows a blank screen. This happened to me.

for example
RR7dsKY.jpg

without BSOD its a pain to work out. MIne ended up being caused by my mouse. It took 5 months to work that out.
It was listed similar to yours. Must have dwm atleast 40 times. Makes me wonder about my mouse and keyboard. Both usb (wireless) 2 different brands. Old hand me down. But still wonder about gpu since I took it out and I haven’t black screened yet. It’s only been out for 6 or 7 hours.
Edit: I just looked again don’t see anything that says hardware error