Stop Error 0x50 BSOD

japaul32

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Hey Guys,

I'm trying to fix a friends computer. I constantly get stop error 0x50 "page fault at non_paged area". I've run memtest86 and found no errors with the ram. I've even tried the ram out of my computer and it's given me the same error. It happens while booting into win xp. The xp boot logo appears, and then as it's about to enter into XP the BSOD occurs. I've attempted a repair with the cd, but the BSOD occurs there as well. I've unplugged the CD-ROM, the same error has occured. I've disabled the GPU and tried onboard video, but again the same error occurs. I've pulled the HDD and connected it to a dock. There doesn't seem to be any issue with the HDD either. No problems with it turning on, and being detected. The last thing I can think of is the ram slots on the mobo is fried, or possibly the PSU isn't providing sufficient power. I'd provide a minidump file, but windows isn't set up to save them, and there's no way for me to change that.

If anyone has any suggestions, it would be much appreciated.

The following is from Microsoft (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329293) and applies to XP SP1:

To resolve this problem, start your computer in Safe mode, remove the display adapter, rename the .inf files that are associated with the display adapter drivers, restart your computer in Normal mode, and then update your display adapter drivers. The following steps describe this procedure in more detail: 1.Start Windows in Safe mode. To do so:a.Restart the computer, and then press F8 while the computer starts.
b.On the Windows Advanced Options Menu that appears, use the ARROW keys to select Safe Mode, and then press ENTER.
c.Use the ARROW keys to select the operating system to start, and then press ENTER to start Windows XP in Safe mode.

2.In the message that states that Windows is running in Safe mode, click Yes.
3.Click Start, click Run, type msinfo32 in the Open box, and then click OK.
4.Under System Summary, expand Components, and then click Display.
5.In the right pane, note the information that corresponds to the INF File item, for example, Nv4.inf, Oem0.inf, or Atim128.inf.
6.Quit the System Information utility.
7.Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
8.Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
9.Expand Display adapters, right-click the display adapter, and then click Uninstall.
10.Click OK.
11.Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
12.In the Command Prompt window, type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each line:
ren %systemroot%\inf\INF file name from Step 5.inf *inf.old
ren %systemroot%\inf\INF file name from Step 5.pnf *pnf.old

13.Close all open windows, and then restart the computer in the typical manner.
14.Log on to Windows by using an account that has administrative privileges, and then wait for Windows to detect new hardware.
15.When the Found New Hardware Wizard starts, click Cancel.

If you receive a stop error after you remove the updated display drivers, restart the computer and use the Last Known Good Configuration option. To do this, restart the computer, and then press the F8 key while the computer starts. On the Windows Advanced Options Menu that appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.

If you receive a "System Has Recovered from a Serious Error" message when Windows starts, restart the computer again. This error message does not recur.
16.Obtain and install the latest drivers for your display adapter.For information about how to contact your computer manufacturer, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/vendors

japaul32

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Unfortunately I can't even get into safe mode. It gives me the same error. The computer as of right now does not boot into windows. It'll post, get to the loading screen and then the BSOD occurs.