Stop Error - ACPI BIOS not compliant

1dumas

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
I have a Dell Dimension 4400.
Did a simple remove Cd drive and replace with DVD NEC-2510 drive that was in my other Dell Dimension 2400 PC.
When I rebooted it gave me froze at start up saying PC didn't shut down correctly. I click last know config and it freezes. So I removed the DVD drive and replaced with the CD drive and same thing.
then all of sudden I get the blue screen error 0x-000000A5 ACPI not fully compliant. I did all the resets to defaults, and nothing. Even tried to reload XP and get the same error.
Hit F7 during new install and still get blue screen error.
Any suggestions?

Have you tried putting the original ROM back in to stabilise the system? OEM machines such as Dell's have their software and hardware married together in very strange ways and you tamper at your peril. Find the Service Tag on the case and input that down at Dell's site and you'll find out exactly which CD ROM you can use to replace yours if it's broken and you can seek one out on e-Bay or similar. For the time being, though, the only way to get back to a working system is by putting the old one back in.

1dumas

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009

I did put old CD back in and same result. I must of unplugged something inside when I open the case.
I have tried to re install windows but now am getting errors regarding hardware. but I have all what was in there before and still have problem.

1dumas

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
All solved and not sure how.
I re installed Windows for a 4th time, before I did I took out the memory cards and put them back in. I guess that did it.
All installed and new drive is working.
Now the 5 year old has a PC.
Man remember when we were 5.
Home PC's were not out yet.
What a world!

[#000ff]Yep - I remember. When I was five, they had a computer twenty miles away at Bletchley Park. Google should help you get there. :D

Glad you got it sorted - I assume you're talking about a five card panel on the front - they can send XP into a flat spin but it usually just cries out for drivers.
[/#000ff]