STOP errors while trying to install XP

dlauver

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007
I'm putting together a new build and running into a lot of problems installing XP Pro. I can load BIOS and change boot order and mess around with fan speeds. When the XP disk tries formatting the HDD I get a STOP error 0x00000024. Microsoft tech net lists this error as corruption in the NTFS file system.

My question is can I fix this through some low level formatting program, or do I need to return the drive? So far no answer from WD tech support.

Thanks.

My system:
e6750
Abit IP35 Pro
2 x 1GB crucial ballistix PC6400
WD 500gb
evga 8800gt
samsung DVDRW
zalman 9700
antec 900
OCZ gamexstream 600w

dlauver

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007
Unfortunately no. I'm upgrading from a very old PIII system and that system doesn't support SATA. I could use one of the PATA drives from the old computer and try a test install, but I don't have the data backed up at the moment.

dlauver

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007
Yea, I will.

I don't really have a good back up option right now other than a bunch of DVD's so I'll probably talk to WD support and see what they say. Some people I've talked to say RMA.

I'll post the resolution.

dlauver

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007
Finally. I'm up an running.

The problem was not with the drive. It was was with my version of WinXP. I was trying to install a pre-sp1 version of XP on a 500GB drive. I knew that this version had limitation on the size of hard drive it would recognize, but I thought setting a partition below this limit would allow XP to be installed anyway. I guess not.

I ran WD Data Lifeguard Tools and the drive came back clean. So I slipstreamed SP2 with my XP install disk and that seemed to take care of everything.

What a pain, but everything seems to be running smoothly so far (fingers crossed). Thanks for you input. As a first time builder I appreciated the help.