Stop Filtering Non-Swears

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Why is the word "crap" being filtered? It's not even remotely a swear word. Hell, it's not even always slang for one. For example, a crap shoot. Crap crap crap crap crap!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Add to the list of silly non-swears to stop filtering that of xxx. In a post I just used it in an example of Home -> xxx -> yyy -> zzz. It was a perfectly harmless thing to say, and cracked me up :lol: to see it get filtered to Home -> xxx -> yyy -> zzz.

(And thank goodness the old forum's filter-breaking techniques still work, or else this'd get akward to request.)

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
Webdog, I put in some initial words in our closed Beta. You guys talk it over, and then Fredi needs to go into the system and adjust accordingly.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I never thought that swearing was all that big of a problem in the forum either. Yeah, there's always a few minimal uses. The bigger problem would be though that some of the immature people that should be worried about are the people smart enough to know how to get around the filter, rendering the filter generally useless in those cases.

Personally I know of two ways of getting around the filter, and could probably think up one or two more were there ever a need.

So in light of how little often it's needed, and of how useless it is against determined profaners, I'd personally vote to just toss the filter entirely.

But short of that, could someone please keep the filter limited to actual profanity? This crap and xxx thing is really ... silly. Goodness knows how many other (relatively) innocent words in the filter are just waiting to be discovered too.