[SOLVED] Stop the Dust!

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

My son has this case, (Sahara P35) and Im looking for any clever way to stop dust getting in through the front 2 intake vents at the front. Ive tried using a cut up strip of sponge filter to size but between him and his mum they've somehow ripped them off! So was just asking for any suggestions you can give me or materials that I could DIY,(not great at DIY,) and make something for it. Thanks

Solution
Yeah, the fans are set up that way,plus 3 additional intake fans at the bottom,(but think i'll have to remove them when I add a GPU.) I was just shocked how much dust was actually inside when I first cleaned it.The intake vents at the front are pretty crap but it's what I have to work with.Would of just thought that a fine mesh or sponge type filters would be standard by now on PC cases.

It's not likely those 3 bottom fans are doing much cooling, I'd guess they are pulling in more dust than doing any good for the temps, especially if the case is sitting on the floor.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Keep in mind that dust filtration is also going to equal air flow blockage.

Best bet would be to try to mitigate the dust in the enviro if possible and/or set a routine schedule to clean the machine out.
I have to do my main gaming system about every 4-6 weeks. The "work" computer only about every 3 months...

Reactions: kurdtnz

Ralston18

Titan
I will second @punkncat and @jojesa to some extent....

However, I suggest that prevention is the key.

You need a proactive response/solution. Not reactive.

How old is your son? (Rhetorical question - no response is really necessary.)

Make him clean his room. Help him find out and fix where the dust & debris is coming from. Help him understand that if he wants to have a computer that works and keeps working then one of the things he must do is to keep the area clean.

Then the two of you monitor the computer's dust build up on a regular basis.

Determine what can be done without resorting to filters (homemade or otherwise) .

If dust continues to be a problem then other options can be considered.

Something like a fine window screen might work well.
Possibly a thin house furnace filter cut to size could work.
I have heard that pantyhose can work.
There is a trade off. Too light of a filter will let in more dust.
Too tight and you restrict cooling.

Do you allow dogs or cats in the room?

For best cleaning, arrange for all of the intake to come in the front and go through that filter. That is called a positive pressure system.
Put no fans in the top. Neither intake nor exhaust.
Such fans will draw in unfiltered air from adjacent openings.
A single 120mm exhaust is ok, mainly to direct the airflow past your components.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions all. Yeah, I mean, when he's at home he's pretty much on his PC 24/7. Mine and my daughters PC dont really have this problem as mine has sponge filters and hers has a mesh filter but his is a whole other story! I couldnt believe how much dust was inside when I first cleaned it,it was caked! I was hoping to buy some kind of fine mesh and cut it to size and use some kind of magnetic tape but I dont think the mesh would be flush with the intake vents, there will be gaps so it will still suck the dust in. I'll have a play around and see what works best. Thanks again!

How are the fans setup in the case? With incorrect setup the fans may just be sucking in air and dust without proper airflow out. From looking at the pictures of the case you want front ones for intake and the rear and top ones for exhaust, make sure the fans are oriented in the correct way. If the system is on the floor, the room is dusty or there are pets, it will get dirty and will need cleaning at times. That case does not look to have great airflow in the first place coming in, so using dust filters may not be a good idea for the temps.

How are the fans setup in the case? With incorrect setup the fans may just be sucking in air and dust without proper airflow out. From looking at the pictures of the case you want front ones for intake and the rear and top ones for exhaust, make sure the fans are oriented in the correct way. If the system is on the floor, the room is dusty or there are pets, it will get dirty and will need cleaning at times. That case does not look to have great airflow in the first place coming in, so using dust filters may not be a good idea for the temps.
Yeah, the fans are set up that way,plus 3 additional intake fans at the bottom,(but think i'll have to remove them when I add a GPU.) I was just shocked how much dust was actually inside when I first cleaned it.The intake vents at the front are pretty crap but it's what I have to work with.Would of just thought that a fine mesh or sponge type filters would be standard by now on PC cases.

One method that always work for me to mitigate the issue is to keep the case lifted of the floor - where the dust tends to collect at most.

Only as little as 10 cm can make a huge difference - i.e. put it onto a shoe box if stiff enough until a better permanent solution is made.

It's not likely those 3 bottom fans are doing much cooling, I'd guess they are pulling in more dust than doing any good for the temps, especially if the case is sitting on the floor.

Solution