Question Stopping Windows 10 from going to Sleep

jmdriskell

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2013
I recently installed an ASUS NIVDIA GeForce 1060 6GOC card in my Dell XPS 8500 i7-3770 w/8GB Ram in order to try to extend the life of the system. I had previously done a clean install of Windows 10 on a new c drive and the system seem to be running well before I installed the new card. I installed the recommended video drivers from the ASUS site after installing the new card.

The first problem I noticed after installing the new video card is that the system started to go to sleep after 10 minutes, even though I have the power settings set to never turn off the HD. I then have to login again. Each time I login again, the system pegs the c drive at 100% usage, making it almost impossible to get any thing done until the disk activity subsides which may take up to 5 minutes or more. If I can get into the task manager, I find that system, svchost. exe (netsvcs-p), TIworker and other applications are doing tons of read/write actions.

I wonder if the NIVDIA drivers and the addition of the new video are are over-riding the Windows 10 settings for sleep modes. Could someone point out a way to ensure that the system doesn't go to sleep?

And can someone explain to me what is going on when the system wakes up and pegs the c drive usage at 100%

Thanks in advance,

Jim Driskell

It's likely your power supply is underpowered for your new GPU. the oem card you replaced GT 640 GDDR5 is a 49W card, while your new GTX1060 is a 120w card; rated at a minimum 400W and your PSU is 460W. A power supply is most efficient when it is working at 50% it's power rating. Further with the age and power rating of your PSU it's likely it is beings overworked and not producing the power needed for your new video card. Add to that the problems started with your new GPU, I would either go back to the previous GPU, or upgrade your PSU to a minimum 600W.

Last edited: