Storage advice on new build

Sir Aaron

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2008
I've been nursing along an old Core 2 Duo Wolfdale system that I assembled in late 2008. Eight years has been a pretty good run. My computer just seems horribly slow (relatively speaking LOL) and I'm thinking there's nothing much I can do to speed it up.

So I've been looking into building a new system from the ground up, but one of the questions I've found myself struggling with is what type and how much storage capacity.

Most of my internet surfing has been moved to ipads so the computer no longer sees much action. Mostly my family uses it for (a) storage of family photos and videos (b) video/photo/website/music editing, cutting, etc. (c) Excel and Word documents when an Ipad interface simply isn't expedient (d) when a large screen is beneficial (e) ripping movies to my NAS(s) (movies I legally purchased) and (f) any work where an ipad wouldn't suffice.

My new setup will have a nvme m2 slot on the motherboard. My current Sata 3 hard drive on my existing system is nearly full at 1TB and my video needs are increasing (since we take more video).

So my question is, what type of hard drives should I get and what sizes? 1 nvme m2 and 1 SSD? Or 1 nvme m2, 1 SSD, and one traditional? I was thinking originally of a 512 GB nvme and a 3TB Traditional drive. But now I'm wondering if I should go with some other combo.

Also, the type of nvme I'm not sure about. I could go with the Samsung 960 evo or pro or go with an Intel 600 series that is much cheaper but also not in the same league

RealBeast

Titan
Considering your uses, I would just go with a 512GB SATA SSD (like an 850EVO) and a big HDD (6-8TB) should keep you going for a while.

Wait and add an NVMe drive when (1) they get cheaper and (2) you would benefit from the additional cost. You will not notice the difference for what you do between NVMe and SATA SSDs.

Sir Aaron

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2008

Do you suggest just the operating system on the SSD or all programs as well?

Sir Aaron

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2008

Thanks. That is helpful. Helped to make up my mind.