Storage all used up, by nothing?

BloodyDream3

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
This may not be the correct place to post this, but I wasn't sure.

I just recently downloaded Windows 7 Ultimate, and a couple of drivers. Nothing else. I'm using a 90GB Corsair Force 3, and it says that 67.5GB have been used, but there is no way that that's possible. What happened? Any ideas, solutions?

Thanks

Solution
There is probably a hiberfil.sys and a pagefile.sys and both are usually about the size of your ram total each. so if you have 6gb of ram for instance like i do on my system, I have a 4gb hiberfile.sys file and a 6gb pagefile.sys file that reside at the root of c:\

crazypotato

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Are you sure you didnt install any antivirus or something like that? Is your computer custom made and was it a clean install? It is quite impossible to do that as my 60gb m4 is doing the job well with less than half the space used.

BloodyDream3

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012

Oh really? Thanks...

No antivirus was installed. The computer is a custom build, and I don't exactly know what clean install means.

Yes, I have. I even set it to show the "protected OS folders".

BloodyDream3

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012

There is probably a hiberfil.sys and a pagefile.sys and both are usually about the size of your ram total each. so if you have 6gb of ram for instance like i do on my system, I have a 4gb hiberfile.sys file and a 6gb pagefile.sys file that reside at the root of c:\

Solution

BloodyDream3

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012

Yep, those are the two taking it all up. Wasn't able to view them until I downloaded that software. I have 32GB of RAM, so that's why they're massive. (Ubuntu did the same thing haha). You went from having the worst answer to the best ;D Any idea on how to fix that? Can I edit the size of them? (Again, I'm used to Ubuntu so I know how to partition)

http://www.ehow.com/how_8192676_turn-off-windows-7-hibernation.html

Above is to disable Hibernate, which is really only needed for laptops, but some people like it on their desktops also as it saves everything that you have open, documents and windows, etc. and totally shuts down the computer, but the next time you turn on your computer, everything is open again just as you left it. It is a bit different than sleep mode.

BloodyDream3

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012

Worked like a charm, I don't which of your three answers to select as the best, haha. The same thing happened when I used Ubuntu, and I had the same solution; delete it. I never hibernate, because my boot time is almost as fast.