Storage confusion after Installing OS onto SSD

TK10

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
To sum it up I have 2 HDDs. One older 2TB and a newer 3TB

I cloned the 2TB drive onto the 3TB a few months ago and had be using it as my bootdrive

Today I did a fresh install of my OS(Win7 Ultimate) on an 250gb SSD and as far as the install all has gone well

My plan was/is to have the SSD only handle the OS(maybe a game or two) the 3TB HDD to handle commonly used items/programs, and the 2TB to be storage to photos and other rarely accessed things.

My issue now is that I now have 3 copies of my OS on 3 different drives. And I'm at a loss on how to have my computer behave before I put the OS on the SSD. In my ignorance I thought it would work similar to the clone and I would just have to change some directory's around (my first time ever doing a fresh install of an OS) So to my knowledge I'm going to have to reinstall everything.

How would I go about removing the old copies of Win7 from my HDDs

And/or would it be better if I just formatted one of the HDDs and manually drag everything I wanted to keep into the formatted drive. Then format the second drive and sort them as I want?

This OS and data manipulation stuff is so foreign to me and I just don't want to lose any data (which is why I just cloned the drive the first time)

Thank you in advance for any help

Solution
For the applications, you absolutely must reinstall those.
Your new OS on the SSD can't use any applications living with the old OS's.

For your personal data and what to do with old OS's, the easiest way is to move anything off that drive you wish to keep, and wipe ALL partitions on those drives.

However, we need to test a bit first.
Did you install this OS on the SSD while other drives were connected?

Power off.
Disconnect ALL drives except the new SSD.
Power up.
Does it boot correctly?

If so, then you are free to wipe those other drives completely, and use as desired.

USAFRet

Titan
For the applications, you absolutely must reinstall those.
Your new OS on the SSD can't use any applications living with the old OS's.

For your personal data and what to do with old OS's, the easiest way is to move anything off that drive you wish to keep, and wipe ALL partitions on those drives.

However, we need to test a bit first.
Did you install this OS on the SSD while other drives were connected?

Power off.
Disconnect ALL drives except the new SSD.
Power up.
Does it boot correctly?

If so, then you are free to wipe those other drives completely, and use as desired.

Solution

TK10

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
I did install the OS with the other drives disconnected.

I suppose its time to sift through it all and do some formatting then.

Is there any way to save user settings and stuff like passwords from Chrome? I actually had to boot up from the old OS and use Chrome on it to make this post because I forgot my password here (I suppose if not it will force me into better habits there :p)

USAFRet

Titan

User settings from your browser(s) can generally be exported from the old and imported into the new.

How to Export a Chrome Profile
https://smallbusiness.chron.com/export-chrome-profile-79321.html

Then, Import into your new browser.