[SOLVED] Storage devices showing up as SCSI

simeon15

Commendable
Apr 30, 2021
Hi, Recently I tried to do a system checkup for my storage devices using crystaldiskinfo. It kept showing me 'Drives not found' https://puu.sh/HCOs9/f54df8d2fb.png

After checking my drives in device manager I found out that they were SCSI drives. https://puu.sh/HCOAX/6c2fea9ac3.png

I don't even know when they got changed. All I remember a while ago I had installed AMDs storeMI software. I am not sure whether it affected my drives. I checked my BIOS settings and the SATA is set to AHCI mode.

Both my nvme ssd(XPG sx8200 pro) and WD 1tb 7200rpm drive show as SCSI. Should I be worried? I would like to change it back to how they were originally as I would like to use crystaldiskinfo. ADATAs own software too throws an error for no drive detection. I use an msi b550 board with Ryzen 5600x if any of that matters.

Solution
OK, so if I clone the OS onto another drive and then reformat both existing drives, it shd work right? Also what happens to my existing windows activation considering I have an OEM key. Will the reformat cause issues wrt to that?
A clean install (not a "clone"), in this same system, will incur no licensing issues.
It will activate itself once it goes online after.

A clone operation will carry along whatever foolishness the StoreMi installed.

Full wipe and reinstall.
A StoreMI system reformats the Windows raw disks in order to function properly. Once formatted,
there is no supported way to revert back to the original boot drive as the data is spread across
multiple drives.

Completely uninstalling the software is therefore not possible for bootable StoreMIs without
utilizing a third party OS migration tool.

simeon15

Commendable
Apr 30, 2021
A StoreMI system reformats the Windows raw disks in order to function properly. Once formatted,
there is no supported way to revert back to the original boot drive as the data is spread across
multiple drives.

Completely uninstalling the software is therefore not possible for bootable StoreMIs without
utilizing a third party OS migration tool.
OK, so if I clone the OS onto another drive and then reformat both existing drives, it shd work right? Also what happens to my existing windows activation considering I have an OEM key. Will the reformat cause issues wrt to that?

USAFRet

Titan
A clean install (not a "clone"), in this same system, will incur no licensing issues.
It will activate itself once it goes online after.

A clone operation will carry along whatever foolishness the StoreMi installed.

Full wipe and reinstall.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution