Storage for my system

jimmydalton

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
My hdd was just dead and luckily I have made some backup though not all.

They say that eventually hdd will fail. Now I think that I don't need a large storage. Thus, 500 gb is enough I guess since I stored important data in 2 external hdds. I use my pc mainly for gaming and application like Microsoft Office and Photoshop.

Would you recommend me an internal hdd within budget $100?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
If you store all data in 2 external hdds, personally I would just go for a samsung evo 850 250gb SSD and make everything quick. Else for $100 you can go for an SSHD which would be faster than typical hdds.

jimmydalton

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

jimmydalton

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
Thanks for the fast reply. I think 250 gb is enough for windows and applications and a few games, isn't it?

Sorry for this silly question. I'm not familiar with sshd. Is it different from ssd?

SSHD is basically a HDD but with built-in cache (8GB NAND), it's still a HDD however and it is slower than an SSD but faster than a HDD, that's why it's called Hybrid. OS + all programs would not take more than 30-40GB, that leaves you with around 200gb for games which I must say should be more than enough.

Hi there jimmydalton,

In case you want to go with HDD, you can check WD Black out. It is a performance oriented drive with 5 years of limited warranty. Also, it features dual core processor for better multitasking.

Apart from that, I would agree with Gingerbread and say that you will notice considerably faster boot/loading times in case you decide to go with an SSD. They are pricey though.

More on WD Black's features: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=37pFJP

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

Well, SSHDs are a good choice as well.
It really depends on what you need.
SSDs: great performance but offer less storage space and are pricey.
SSHDs: slower than SSDs but faster than HDDs. Also, the could come with several TB of storage space.
HDDs: cheaper and slower compared to the other two.

I see that you are planning on keeping your data on external drives. Keep in mind that externals are generally less reliable than internal drives. You are moving them around. In many cases, users face issues with ports and enclosures related problems.

So, you should always keep your most important data stored on at least two places.

Here's one SSHD: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=nEZb44

D_Know_WD

Dark Dragon

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016

Find Crucial\Samsung\SanDisk, Kingston\Trascen average.

Crucial MX200 very good.

TRENDING THREADS