• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Storage HDD making noise when playing games ?

salawow

Honorable
Jul 30, 2014
Hi

My wife's computer had that problem for years and it's just now that i think about asking about it.

She has a SSD where the OS and all her games are installed, and a HDD that is used only for storage. Problem is, there are games that when she plays, the HDD is constantly making the usual "read/write" crackling sound. (I checked to be sure and it's really the HDD that is making the noise and not a fan). Unfortunately, i can't remember which games does that and which doesnt. Also worth mentioning that it happens both in legit purchased games and in games obtained through other means.

Why would that happen ? The HDD is only used for storage, so why does a game need to constantly access it ?

Her specs:

i5-3550
8GB ram
GTX 1060
WD Black 1TB HDD for storage
Samsung 512gb SSD for OS and Games (I think it's the 850 evo but i don't remember exactly)
Windows 7
Bitdefender total security (Thought it might be relevent)

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS