[SOLVED] Storage HDD not accessible in new system (or old anymore) - locks up Windows when in enclosure

Dec 4, 2019
Hi all - I just built a new tower and everything runs well. The old tower works fine too. Unsure if this matters, but the old unit was Intel, the new one is AMD. I went to install my 1TB HDD from my old PC into this new tower and it wouldn't even boot to windows. I changed the boot order, disabled the HDD from being part of the boot order altogether and it still won't load to windows.

Next, I unplugged it from the PC and used a USB enclosure to try to access the data from windows 10. When plugged in, "This PC" folder locks up but shows two drives with no data under it. Sometimes, both drives don't show up. It's either "H" or "I" drive.

Q5TKK47.png

I can't right click or inspect either drive. It just freezes up. I've used some data recovery softwares that all lock up when it's connected. They say they're looking for new drives and freeze until I turn off the enclosure. The software works fine until I turn on the enclosure.

I tried to put the drive back in my old tower and now it has the same issues faced in the new tower.

I have tried using chkdsk and get an error saying "Location is not available H:\ is not accessible.
The Parameter is incorrect" but back in command prompt, I get "The type of file system is NTFS"

Chkdsk ONLY works on drive H, not drive I.

Appreciate any sort of help or direction you guys can provide. Thank you.

Solution
How was the disk removed can affect it.
Pulled/killed the power while it was still being used instead of shutting down properly, bumping/dropping it, moving it quickly while its still spinning... things like that can cause mechanical issues just like what you describe.
Dec 4, 2019
If a HDD is faulty in the way that it doesn't respond, it makes windows or any software trying access the disk to hang/freeze.

So that's it - disk is probably defect.

I don't understand how the disk can defect in the 30 seconds it took to switch systems. Can you explain further?

popatim

Titan
How was the disk removed can affect it.
Pulled/killed the power while it was still being used instead of shutting down properly, bumping/dropping it, moving it quickly while its still spinning... things like that can cause mechanical issues just like what you describe.

Solution