[SOLVED] Storage is better internal sata dvd drive or external usb drive

Solution
In time, all media is likely to become unreadable.

If the data stored is irreplaceable. then implement a plan to make multiple valid copies.

If the data fits on a usb drive, then the problem is manageable.
Make multiple copies.
From time to time, restore the copy to verify that they are still good.
If/when you have a problem, recopy from one that is known good.

I do not know if data remains valid longer on a dvd, ssd, hdd, usb stick, or tape.
You might consider sending the data to cloud storage where professionals will handle the issue.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
May I suggest making sure you get good dvds made for storage and consider it a backup

I used normal blank dvds to store a lot back when it was the cheapest way to do it and it eventually became my backup to a HDD which eventually failed. Turned to the hundreds of dvds and a lot of them were bad as some were around 10years old at that point.

Also not sure how well it work and may require a little more research to verify. Ammo cans as their air/water tight and a moisture absorber in there may help preserve it.

USAFRet

Titan
and a lot of them were bad as some were around 10years old at that point.
Indeed.
In the process of early spring cleaning today, I came upon a CD holder with 9 CD's in it.
All audio, mp3.
Burned around 2004.

Of the 9, 2 were readable all the way, 1 was partially readable.
The other 6, not at all.

Of course, nothing on those was critical in any way, so no loss.

I would absolutely not use CD/DVD for any long term backup scenario.

In time, all media is likely to become unreadable.

If the data stored is irreplaceable. then implement a plan to make multiple valid copies.

If the data fits on a usb drive, then the problem is manageable.
Make multiple copies.
From time to time, restore the copy to verify that they are still good.
If/when you have a problem, recopy from one that is known good.

I do not know if data remains valid longer on a dvd, ssd, hdd, usb stick, or tape.
You might consider sending the data to cloud storage where professionals will handle the issue.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
What is the quality level of the recording mechanism on ASUS drives?

how to save and store the DVD burn / reader drive so that it is always good?
I'd be highly surprised if there were any measurable internal differences between an Asus DVD and any other mainstream brand DVD.

How to save the actual DVD drive?
Buy 4. A couple of different brands. Asus, Samsung, LG...
Use one, leave the other 3 in the original box, untouched. Don't leave it out in the sun, or let it get wet.
10 years from now, 2 or even all 3 of those will work.

What is this fascination with DVD? And especially long term storage of the actual drives?