[SOLVED] Storage (M.2 NVMe, SATA SSD, SATA HDD) not very responsive w/ 5900X

Nov 8, 2021
Firstly, I'm using Windows 11 but with the patch that fixes the NTFS issue on (mostly) the operating system drive. Now that's out of the way, I find all storage drives not responsive on my 5900X system compared to my 6700K system, regardless of whether it's PCIe 3.0 M.2 NVMe, SATA3 SSD, or SATA HDD.

A few points:
  • Sustained transfer speeds between drives are excellent (over 17-240 MB/s for the HDDs, 540 MB/s for the SSDs, and 2,400 MB/s for the M.2 NVMe drive). The flash storage has a DRAM cache and the HDDs have a 512MB (or possibly 256MB) buffer.
  • Transferring a dummy 20GB file from one HDD to the other HDD keeps a sustained speed without any slowdown. Searching for files is speedy - even on the HDDs.
  • Speedtests using CrystalDiskMark are great and with expected results.
  • Opening a large video file (10GB) from a HDD is responsive.
  • M.2 NVMe, SATA SSD, SATA HDD access times are close to 0 when this happens with 0-1% activity.
  • This problem does not occur when using Linux Mint
  • A reboot seems to reduce the 2-3 seconds to rename a file or directory to less than a second (almost instant).
  • I use a home server via RDP, and when renaming files on my workstation over RDP it's actually quicker than renaming them on the workstation. I hope that makes sense (Workstation -> Server via RDP -> rename file from Workstation drive on server in RDP session -> file is renamed and quicker than renaming it on the Workstation)
  • Drive firmware is up to date, BIOS is up to date, Windows is up to date, Chipset drivers also up to date.
With all of the above, it's hard to work out the cause of the problem.

An example is that when renaming a directory (F2 or context menu), explorer can freeze for a second or two. This is just from renaming a directory - nothing more.

My PC is not overclocked, apart from 48 hour tested (memtest) XMP/DOCP. Apart from that, it's at stock values. No part is older than two months - the entire PC is new - and Windows was a clean install.

Does anyone have any idea of what the cause may be? It's getting really quite annoying.

Solution
Sound like you could be syncing to an Windows One drive or google drive or some other internet storage syncing going on, reading from your description, I cant think of anything other than to go and double check all your settings that have to do with the hardware and software being utilized by your actions, you might stumble onto something that's not configured quite right yet and thus changing it might resolve your issue.

Besides that, the NTFS issue fix that your using might be your troublemaker, could you elaborate more on that and why and where you got such a fix.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Sound like you could be syncing to an Windows One drive or google drive or some other internet storage syncing going on, reading from your description, I cant think of anything other than to go and double check all your settings that have to do with the hardware and software being utilized by your actions, you might stumble onto something that's not configured quite right yet and thus changing it might resolve your issue.

Besides that, the NTFS issue fix that your using might be your troublemaker, could you elaborate more on that and why and where you got such a fix.

Last edited:
Solution
Nov 8, 2021

Thank you for the reply. I have OneDrive entirely removed from the system (it's actually very easy on Windows 11 - on Windows 10 it was a chore!) and don't have any automated cloud software. The NTFS fix is an issue Microsoft identified with Windows 11 and rolled out a fix for on Patch Tuesday a few weeks ago - this problem existed before that - and it tended to only impact the OS drive (up to 50% reduction in performance).

I think I may have found a fix - exiting Malwarebytes and letting Windows 11 use its own built-in AV software seems to have fixed the problem. I've created a thread on the Malwarebytes forum. I'll keep this thread open as I do more testing in case it's just a one off, and in case people have other ideas.

Reactions: iTRiP and Lafong

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Thank you for the reply. I have OneDrive entirely removed from the system (it's actually very easy on Windows 11 - on Windows 10 it was a chore!) and don't have any automated cloud software. The NTFS fix is an issue Microsoft identified with Windows 11 and rolled out a fix for on Patch Tuesday a few weeks ago - this problem existed before that - and it tended to only impact the OS drive (up to 50% reduction in performance).

I think I may have found a fix - exiting Malwarebytes and letting Windows 11 use its own built-in AV software seems to have fixed the problem. I've created a thread on the Malwarebytes forum. I'll keep this thread open as I do more testing in case it's just a one off, and in case people have other ideas.

I don't have anything against an app such as Malwarebytes, but I'd also suspect that such an app would be an resource hog, and I would strongly recommend you uninstall that if you don't specifically need it, Windows Defender is more than capable of handling that sort of stuff as long as you the pc user keeps an eye on things it warns you about and take appropriate action manually.

It's more work but saves on the performance of the pc.