Question Storage server build

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I am looking at building a new machine for a purely "storage" usage, as a NAS. Mostly just so I can put two 4TB drives in it and mirror them for redundancy. I will not be gaming on it, but might put it in a location where it can be used to watch TV on. It will be Ryzen based, or at least AM4 since I already have most of the components for the build. I am short the CPU. Mobo, storage, case, memory, etc is already taken care of.

In a situation like that, is there any reason why more cores would make sense?

I have a few ways I can go about this build.

a) I can purchase a new R7 2700x and upgrade my current desktop and step down the 1700 I have there.

b) I can purchase a R5 1600 for $79 and pair it with a GTX750ti I already own. It won't pull 4K resolution for the TV viewing at the frame rate I want, but is already proven to work well at 1080/60.

c) Buy one of the Athlon APU dealies for the cheap.

With option A I will be upgrading my main use machine, which I also plan to upgrade again some time after Ryzen 2 releases. I will not do that until the initial release rush dies down and we start seeing price drops. I will more than likely (if the rumors are true) be looking at a Ryzen 5 with similar core counts, just faster speed. The situation equates to "spend $200 to save the $70".
If I go with option B I know it will be more than fast enough. Probably overkill and power wasting. The only thing I really need the 750ti for is to see it on a screen on the rare occasion it will even need to be. (I am considering FreeNAS as OS anyway)
Option C just leaves me wondering if 2 cores/4 threads will be enough for good throughput and not wasting money. From the onboard video perspective it offers much value there. In time, regardless the R7 1700 I have in my main machine will come available. For this it will be overkill anyway.

As mentioned above, I may try to use FreeNAS for this. My past experience with that OS or any "Linux" base hasn't been awesome. I know my way around Windows pretty well and likely may end up using it anyway.

Your opinion?

Last edited:

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
So, ended up picking up a Rajintek Metis Plus case, used an ASRock AB350 Gaming ITX board I had left over, some HyperX Fury 2666 2x4GB sticks, and a Athlon 200GE on y'alls suggestion. I had a WD Blue 250G SSD, and other drives to round it out (it will hold 2x 3.5" and 2.5"), put it on Win10Pro instead of FreeNAS. EVGA PSU that went on sale at Best Buy instead of the planned Thermaltake I ordered, as it got lost in the mail. I used a left over Wraith cooler from my R7.

It seems to be pretty solid for the purpose I have in mind for it. I am currently populating the drives, running a Plex server from it, and have been doing some general surfing and music listening from it all evening just to mess with it. Have yet to see temps break 34C. The case is super small, was rather a bit of work to put together. It is 10x10.5x7 inches. All in about $175 when I include the parts I already had, including OS. Cheaper than any but the cheapest of NAS with better all around utility.

Pretty happy with it so far. We shall see.

Thanks for the suggestion on the CPU. Cheap and capable.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Rather surprised to see that adding a music library to the Plex is working this thing like a rib bone.

Last night while surfing and listening to some music while adding the movie library it ran along like a champ, temps stayed low as well as CPU utilization. I added my music folder this morning...it's gotten up to 39C so far and running upwards of 98% utilization on both cores and threads.

I have already run into an issue where streaming to a 1080p client, if I fast forward it will lock up the video stream. Will have to dig in the Plex forums to see what 'checkbox' I need to click to avoid that issue.