Mar 7, 2019
We are a team of creatives looking to solve our growing storage issues as I’m sure most businesses discover.

The majority of our work is video and now more often than not we filming in 4K.

On average a job/project will consume roughly 200GB in its entirety which includes the raw footage, proxies, revision exports, music, project files & final version outputs.

We are mainly using Adobe Creative Cloud (Premiere Pro CC) for our video editing. With that said, we also working with DaVinci Resolve.

From a storage perspective, we have two main 5.1 Mac Pro edit machines with M2 boot drives, a secondary SSD, and 2 x 4TB drives in Raid 0 Configuration.

In addition we have a Business Dropbox account where we keep our working files and final outputs shared to clients.

Our office is a complete Mac environment.

What are we hoping to achieve?

We are thinking of getting an 8-bay NAS (either Synology or QNAP - what are the main differences?).

We’re wanting to come back from a shoot and backup our footage from SD cards straight onto our NAS.

Our understanding is that this will enable us to work of any local machine to access our files and in theory work directly off the NAS. Is this possible? Are there speed limitations?

Does anyone have recommendations in this space? We think it’s better to get an 8-bay NAS over a smaller one to avoid the need to upgrade again in the immediate future.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

There will be speed limitations in accessing/saving/restoring/editing large files over the the typical 1 Gbps office network...

Both Synology and QNAP offer 8 bay NAS devices already 10GgE capable, but, I don't know what the state of 10GbpE cards for MACs are....(Naturally, you'd need a 10GbE switch for updating your office as well, much more expensive still than the ubiquitous 1 GbE switches everywhere for $50-$70 or so...

You could peruse the specs of assorted NAS systems, looking for one that has an SD card reader, (no USB3 or TB hookups/speeds from cams?), but, I'm not aware of any offhand...

As for QNAP or Synology, both are good, a few reviews I read showed Synology easier for the user perhaps, and QNAP perhaps a bit more flexible in it's OS options for the tinkerers/enthusiasts...

GOod luck in your efforts

How long do you keep project data?

You could build a really fast NAS with SSD + dropbox for current projects and store long term data on something like backblaze. 10G nics are much less expensive now. Not sure about options for laptops though. switches are less than $1000 now. You can find used ones a lot less.