storage spaces not displaying

gregf16

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
hey all,

I tried to post this yesterday so, sorry if it is displayed twice.
I created a couple of storage spaces (consisting of 2 hard drives) on a windows server 2012. I created I for personal stuff and another for all my media. I uploaded stuff to them no problem a while ago but I noticed last week that the storage space wasn't available, and after logging into the server they weren't visible either, nor were the hard drives except for in device manager.
there was a error message (on the dashboard) advising that one of the hard drives wasn't functioning or was offline but action centre and device manager both advise that the hard drives are functioning correctly.
anyone got any ideas how to fix it and get the storage space back.

many thanks

Welcome to the community, Greg!

I'd recommend you to go to your HDD manufacturer's website and search for a diagnostic utility to test the unaccessible drive's health and SMART status. In case you are unable to find it, you can check out this thread for some third-party diagnostic utility suggestions: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility
Once you run the tests on it, make sure you share the results here.
Meanwhile, I'd also recommend you to check for any loose connections to that drive and re-seat the cables. I'd also maybe swap the SATA ports the drive is plugged into.

Keep me posted! :)
SuperSoph_WD

gregf16

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015

Thanks both for your replies and sorry for delay in replying. I wasn't receiving notifications to my mailbox so wasn't aware there were replies.
I did a couple of commands on powershell and it showed as all drives were ok and healthy. so i pulled the drives out, got rid of the dust and put them back in. i then downloaded both Seagate and WD tools to test. WD drive passed no problem but the Seagate drive only picked up the system disc and not the other one so i am assuiming it must be the one giving me issues. but i can't understand how powershell and device manager is picking it up and saying everything ok.
it i just remove it, will i get my storage space back with just the 1 disc (not including the system disc) or will i have to replace the Seagate disc first.
or is there anything else i can try to get the disk online since device manager is detecting it??

Hi again, Greg!

You could try plugging the failing drive externally using a SATA-to-USB cable or a dock station and see if you will be able to access it. Another thing you could do is plugging it to another computer to check how it will get detected there. Hopefully you'd be able to access it long enough to get your data off of it and avoid the possibility of data loss.
Either way, once you are done with the troubleshooting, you should contact the manufacturer's tech support and check your HDD's warranty. If it's still covered, they should be able to provide you with a replacement once you send the RMA request.

Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD