Question Storage speed difference

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
So I am curious what is the difference between M.2 SSD regular SSD and HDD loading times in games how much faster is windows with all of them etc. basically is the speed difference worth the extra money?

because I am thinking about getting just an M.2 SSD but want to see if the difference is honestly worth forking over the extra money or should I just go the standard SSD TB with a bigger HDD if you are wondering which one the Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 2TB

seanwebster

Contributing Writer
Editor
Aug 30, 2018
So what does the warranty cover? like what if it happens to stop working?
That’s kind of the point of a warranty - to cover the product if it stops working. Under warranty they will fix it or replace it. Both the MX500 and 860 EVO have a 5yr warranty.

I’d recommend against the M.2 MX500. It runs really hot and in my own system idles at 60C and throttles a lot. The 2.5” version doesn’t overheat at all.

Reactions: DMAN999
Using a 2TB Intel 660P as a backup drive. Works great for game backups, images, ect. in my usage. It's true the performance, worst case, will drop to about 100MB due to QLC. However, it the SLC caching technology varies this based on how full the drive is. With 2TB model, even around 50% full, you would still have to write around 130GB at one transfer instance to overfill the buffer and drop to that speed. When nearly empty, it's upwards of 200GB in one instance. Otherwise, it's rated at 1800MB read/write for everyday use. Comes with a 5yr warranty as well. Thought it was a steal for $200. I'm actually using it in an M.2 USB 3.1 Gen 2 enclosure. Even though it can only run at around 1000MB in the enclosure, still worth it. Otherwise, have several Samsung drives in a few systems(850 Pros, 950 Pro, 960 EVO, 860 QVO)along with my Optane 900P drive. Can recommend all of them.