Storage SSD not reconized

jheibeck

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016
I use an external dock (Anker) for storage. I switch out some different SSDs, each having different purposes.

I have 240 GB drive (among others) that works fine. I bought a new Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB drive. When I put it in the dock, it's simply not recognized. I put a different drive in the dock it works fine.

Here's the weird part. If I connect it using a simple usb to sata connector, it works fine. The 500 GB drive just doesn't like the dock.

Any way to fix this?

Solution
Welcome to Tom's Hardware, @jheibeck!

I'd recommend you use the manufacturer's brand-specific tool to check if the firmware's up-to-date and also make sure that it's fully optimized for performance. This might as well help you recognize the SSD properly through the enclosure afterwards. Another thing you could do is contact the enclosure manufacturer's official customer support and ask them if they have any brand compatibility limitations.

Hope this helps. Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD
Welcome to Tom's Hardware, @jheibeck!

I'd recommend you use the manufacturer's brand-specific tool to check if the firmware's up-to-date and also make sure that it's fully optimized for performance. This might as well help you recognize the SSD properly through the enclosure afterwards. Another thing you could do is contact the enclosure manufacturer's official customer support and ask them if they have any brand compatibility limitations.

Hope this helps. Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution