[SOLVED] Storage suggestions for large quantities of video? TB3 local vs 10gbe LAN

AA5B

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
I am looking for suggestions for storing video (around 10TB and growing).

I use a Mac Pro with Final Cut Pro X. Not a pro -- just processing large quantities of sports footage.

I had thought about buying a Thunderbolt 3 RAID but am hesitant for 2 reasons: 1) no great reviews of any until I get into very high priced units (I'd like to spend around $1000-$1500), 2) sound -- I would like my work area quiet.

I currently have a Synology NAS that has worked flawlessly for years. I thought about upgrading it to a 6 bay model with a PCIe slot I can use for 10 GBit Ethernet. Then get a Thunderbolt 3 to 10gbe adapter for the Mac and just use the Synology for video storage across a 10gbe link. The added benefit is the Synology is in a data closet -- it can be as loud as it wants and I won't hear it.

I have been just editing a project or two locally on the 2TB SSD in the Macbook, and offload to the NAS as needed. However, I transferred a 600GB project the other day, and even at 1Gbit Ethernet, it took hours. IDEALLY, I just do everything on a NAS and leave it there, but I don't know if the performance would be acceptable with all the I/O with Final Cut Pro.

Thoughts about local TB3 local RAID vs. LAN 10gbe NAS for video work?

Last edited:
Solution
LAN NAS would be more flexible and while slower it would also be much easier to expand. You can always do a hybrid system with a SSD NAS with maybe 2-4TB working memory and have that back up to a much larger 20-50tb HDD RAID NAS although the pricing gets out of hand fast
LAN NAS would be more flexible and while slower it would also be much easier to expand. You can always do a hybrid system with a SSD NAS with maybe 2-4TB working memory and have that back up to a much larger 20-50tb HDD RAID NAS although the pricing gets out of hand fast

Solution