Storage Support In Strix B350F

MR9

Prominent
Apr 22, 2017
Hi Guys

While using an M2 NVME SSD. how many sata ports can be used on this motherboard?
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B350-F-GAMING/

Spec says:
*5 When a SATA / PCIE mode M.2 device is installed, the M.2 Socket shares bandwidth with the SATA6G_5/6 ports.
*6 When a SATA mode M.2 device is installed, the M.2 Socket shares bandwidth with the SATA6G_5/6 ports

Anyone please explain. I have a M2 card, 3 sata mechanical drive on Raid5, 2 more sata mechanical drives, and an sata optical drive. Means I need a mobo with atleast 6 sata with a M2.

Thanks.

Solution
AMD B350 chipset only support 4x SATA ports (technically, two SATA ports + one SATA Express port that function as two SATA ports) i.e. two of the six SATA ports on the ASUS B350F Gaming board are taken from the 4xPCIe3.0 lanes for the M2 from the Ryzen CPU. I went through the User Guide but could only find that the fourth PCIe slot can be configured to 4x/2x/Auto; it doesn't list any config option for the M2 slot, so you can assume that on this board if you use the M2 slot, two SATA ports will be disabled.

You can opt for a board with different PCIe lanes layout like say, the ASROCK AB350 Gaming K4 which the M2 slot bandwidth is shared with the fourth PCIe slot rather than with the SATA ports, while extra resources from the B350...

FD2Raptor

Admirable
AMD B350 chipset only support 4x SATA ports (technically, two SATA ports + one SATA Express port that function as two SATA ports) i.e. two of the six SATA ports on the ASUS B350F Gaming board are taken from the 4xPCIe3.0 lanes for the M2 from the Ryzen CPU. I went through the User Guide but could only find that the fourth PCIe slot can be configured to 4x/2x/Auto; it doesn't list any config option for the M2 slot, so you can assume that on this board if you use the M2 slot, two SATA ports will be disabled.

You can opt for a board with different PCIe lanes layout like say, the ASROCK AB350 Gaming K4 which the M2 slot bandwidth is shared with the fourth PCIe slot rather than with the SATA ports, while extra resources from the B350 chipset is then used for ASMedia chipset to provide the two extra SATA ports. Or you can move up to a X370 MB which will support 6xSATA ports from its chipset.

Solution

MR9

Prominent
Apr 22, 2017

Many Thanks. I liked Asrock x370 k4 very much but they discontinued it, and it doesnt support 3200 ram. Asrock B350 doesnt have an audio optical port :(