Storage System for Uncompressed HD Video Capture

stealthpigeons

Reputable
Sep 28, 2015
I'm in the process of picking out hardware for me new desktop which is both my gaming PC and my video editing PC. This time around I need to make sure I can capture a minimum of 2 TB of uncompressed HD video which will require at least 850 MB/s throughput.

My initial thought was to create a RAID 0 out of the WD Velociraptors I have, but I am having great difficulty finding a RAID card that is known to be compatible with any of the X99 motherboards out there. I've looked at LSI/Avago, Adaptec and others and haven't found anything yet.

Does anyone know of either a good RAID controller that is known to be compatible with an X99 motherboard, or have any ideas as to another storage solution that will get me 2 TB of storage capable of 850+ MB/s?

stealthpigeons

Reputable
Sep 28, 2015

Sorry, let me clarify, I need a minimum of 2 TB on a single logical volume to transfer/capture even just one of the segments I'm working with. Thus the RAID, while I'd love to skip it, is still necessary (given my budget which excludes things like Fusion ioDrive2 devices). To further clarify I already have 8 WD6000HLHX drives (116 MB/s to 151 MB/s sustained each see here and here) which in a write-heavy RAID 0 should get me above 900 MB/s transfer rate.

So really the question remains more about an X99 compatible RAID controller than it does about HDD vs SSD. Any thoughts?

rikoma17

Honorable
Jan 15, 2015

what's your budget ?

stealthpigeons

Reputable
Sep 28, 2015

None that I'm aware of, but LSI's compatibility documentation for most of their RAID and HBA cards does not list any motherboard with an X99 chipset and that gave me pause. Back in the day I bought a 3ware card for my A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard and found that the system was unstable because the two devices were not fully compatible. I'd like to avoid that experience again.

stealthpigeons

Reputable
Sep 28, 2015
I did find that ASUS has listed in their Qualified Vendor List for the X99 Deluxe U3.1 one LSI RAID card as well as one HighPoint, one Dell and one Adaptec card (see http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2011/X99-DELUXE_U31/X99-DELUXE_Devices_Report.pdf) even though LSI has not listed the motherboard in their documentation.

Unfortunately there is a lot of mixed press on this board so I haven't decided yet if I'd be willing to risk using this board over another X99 board with better reviews in terms of stability—but that's a separate topic. At least we're starting to get a compatibility answer on this topic.

scottfree1_01

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2012
I assume you have some kinda budget talkin this kinda hardware but my 240gb visiontek is close, and I assume the 960gb would be faster, and 2 raided would handle your specs without breaking a sweat..

a_f11cdd5fe7bf6_800.jpg

https://www.visiontek.com/solid-state-drives/pcie-ssd.html

scottfree1_01

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2012
Making a bunch of assumptions here, first these are scratch for production/editing and the final product will end up on tape/disk/cloud or all of above, so you can trade some reliability for speed, also assuming your win/tel env. Windows 10? If so 2x visiontek 960's available off amz right now (used - Like New Open Box) put 2 of these in a storage pool/simple space (new version of software raid 0 that reportedly actually works) and your done by the end of the week all in tax/del included for $1756..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00C5B2ADM/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

stealthpigeons

Reputable
Sep 28, 2015
Thank you scottfree1_01, that seems like a viable solution. I'm going to take some time to look into the storage pool you mentioned to better understand its capabilities. Yes, my environment is Windows (7 at the moment possibly moving to 10 if upcoming patches address the issues I'm concerned about). There have been a couple inquiries as to budget and presently it is ideally around $1,000 since I already have the storage but am lacking the RAID up to a few thousand dollars if there isn't a good alternative to RAID.

scottfree1_01

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2012
The thing pushing your budget is the 2tb requirement, if you can make due with 1tb = $800 or 480gb = $400 with these, and I believe these can due 1gb r/w so if you can get by with 480gb you're out the door $400 and no raid needed..

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-Predator-SHPM2280P2H-240G/dp/B00V01C4RK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448325962&sr=8-1&keywords=HyperX+Predator+PCIe

ps I have the visiontek 240gb so I know first hand about perf/reliability, but Predator's seem to be the same setup, which worried me going in, but turns out it has been rock solid. Best of all 4me I got mine used off amz for $75, that made the decision to try it out a little easier.

popatim

Titan
With two pcie drives he will be running software raid. At that point he could, and for less money, get a pair of samsung 950's and cheap m.2 adater cards and get 4Gb/s... just saying.

Ps =- I dont beleive the raid controllers are an issue with the x99 motherbd in legacy mode.