Question STORAGE

ISHYY123

Prominent
Jan 30, 2020
Hi,

I connected an external HDD, as a caddy to my recently installed SSD Win 10 Home laptop.

It shows as a drive in device manager (driver up to date) and in Control panel/Hardware & Sound (there is no facility for troubleshooting/configuring).

This is the first time it's happenned, as the unallocated drive is always there to be formatted.

I checked in disk management, expecting to find the external the drive as an unallocated drive (in black) but there is no sign of it.

Primary drive is 'C' , system reserve 'D'

All it illustrates in Disk Management is Disk 1 removeable 'G' No Media, under Primary drive.

Anyone have any suggestions, on how I can access, format the external HDD?

Thanks

Ishy

ISHYY123

Prominent
Jan 30, 2020
Hi,

It's an Orico 2.5" Sata interface, Hard drive enclosure

Connected to laptop by USB, it's only power source.

It worked fine earlier, as an external drive, when I cloned Win 10, from the laptop's HDD tothe external caddy.

If it didn't show up in Device manager, or Hardware/Sounds, in Control panel, I would assume that a problm had developed with caddy, It doesn't make sense.

popatim

Titan
If it has a power switch in the rear, make sure it's on but it sounds like the drive itself is having issues and the enclosure won't present it to windows until the disk registers itself to the enclosure. Do you hear it spinning up? Any unusual clicking noises?