Question Store Exception Error BSOD

abelingaw

Commendable
Dec 15, 2019
Good day.

Recently my PC started getting the BSOD with Store Exception Error. I did do google search and performed the steps stated in this link here but to no avail.

Error appears when I:

1. Play games either online or offline (The Sims 4, Wildlands, World War Z: Aftermath) and the error appears within 20-30 minutes of playing
  2. Use applications (MS Office, Photoshop and other basic apps of windows) although the error appears within 1-2 hours
Things I did:

1. I thought it was my 2 SSD (both Kingston 480GB) that's causing the problem but after using CrystalDiskInfo, they are both healthy since they are both brand new (used only for 2 months now).
  2. I also removed my GPU (GTX 1050 Ti) but still the problems exist.
  3. Performed MEMTEST but no errors were found
  4. Uninstalled GeForce Experience
  5. Reset my BIOS to its default values
  6. Scanned PC for malwares
But after all that, the problem is still there. Things I suspect that maybe causing the problem:

1. Windows Update (since I have not connected the PC for a while now)
  2. Driver Update (esp. GPU) (since I have not connected the PC for a while now)
I'm worried that this problem might cause my SSDs to get corrupted if it persist for too long, since I have to use my PC and the problem keeps appearing.

Thank you.

The most common culprit for the Windows 10/Windows 11 (Unexpected Store Exception) blue screen error is faulty hardware.
If not, the other steps mentioned bellow are worth perusing. A blue screen of death can be caused by many things but are especially common if you've changed something on your system recently.
This indicates that the kernel memory store component caught an unexpected exception.

Some fixes
  1. Check Your Hardware.
  2. Check Your BIOS Configuration.
  3. Disable Fast Startup and Sleep Features.
  4. Update Display Drivers.
  5. Update Your Windows 10.
  6. Reinstall Antivirus Software.
  7. Run System File Checker. SFC /SCANNOW
  8. Use the High-Performance Power Plan.
  9. Try a system restore.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
The store in Store exception is used by the CPU to track the location of files in virtual memory. Files are actually only ever in 2 locations, Memory or Page file

Try running this on your boot drive - https://www.kingston.com/en/support/technical/ssdmanager

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

abelingaw

Commendable
Dec 15, 2019
Some fixes
  1. Check Your Hardware.
  2. Check Your BIOS Configuration.
  3. Disable Fast Startup and Sleep Features.
  4. Update Display Drivers.
  5. Update Your Windows 10.
  6. Reinstall Antivirus Software.
  7. Run System File Checker. SFC /SCANNOW
  8. Use the High-Performance Power Plan.
  9. Try a system restore.

I already did 1-3, 7 and 8. My problem with 4 and 5 is that there's really no benefit of them since I haven't updated them since March this year and have no problems whatsoever because of it. I will try 8 and 9 this evening and give a feedback tomorrow. Thank you.

abelingaw

Commendable
Dec 15, 2019
Update. I opened up HWiNFO last night and played The Sims 4 (offline) and was watching the GPU activity.

What I noticed is that my GPU (GTX 1050 Ti OC) fan wasn't functioning at all but it will after maybe 10 minutes then stop turning again. I kept my eyes on the GPU Temp and once the temp reached the max temp threshold, it gave me the BSOD again.

After I reboot my PC, I played WWZ and other games too, and my GPU fan (HWiNFO still open) starts working once I start the game. Only in The Sims 4 does it not activate continuously.

Would this be the only culprit or could there be others?

generally you should provide the actual minidump file so it can be looked at with a debugger.

I have debugged this issue several times: here were some of the root causes:
1. bad RAM or RAM timings mostly with ram that require 2T for the command rate but the bios set it to 1T command rate. Generally, this issue is found by running memtest86 to confirm memory timings. sometimes if all the memory slots are populated you need to set the command rate to 2T. This gives the memory controller time to set up the memory address and the address to become stable before the memory is accessed. Speed of the ram depends on the distance of the ram stick to the CPU. if you get failures in memtest86, I would use 2T cmd rate.

2. bug in old version of the intel storage driver that corrupts the pagefile.sys overtime when the system sleeps or pages out drivers that are not being used.
(only pertains to intel based systems that run the intel storage driver, microsoft version of the driver is ok) Fix is to directly update the driver from intel, then turn off windows virtual memory to delete the corrupted pagefile.sys then turn virtual memory back on.

3. Old windows 7 era drivers that hook into other running programs. Windows compresses the driver store now and the old programs write code over the compressed data resulting in corruption when windows memory manager tries to decompress the data before use.

4. overclock drivers (generally you get a different bugcheck code)

5. there can be other causes like malware attempting to modify a 3rd party driver that window has stored and compressed. You get a bugcheck when the driver is later decompressed.