StoreJet Transcend 1TB External Hard Drive Unknown Configuration

JiyuuPhonenix

Commendable
Sep 13, 2016
Hi guys. I badly need your help.

I was using my StoreJet Transcend 1TB External Hard Drive when suddenly my laptop's power plug accidentally got removed and my laptop shut down. After that, whenever I plug it in my laptop (running Windows 8.1) it doesn't show in Devices and drives in My Computer, however, I am able to eject it using the safety remove function but without seeing its volume name. Image 01

I tried using Disk Management but it says that my external hard drive (Disk 1) is unknown and not initialized Image 02. When I try to initialize, data error (cyclic redundancy check) appears. I also tried using Minitool Partition Wizard but it shows that my hd is a bad disk and read-only Image 03. The available or used space in my hard drive aren't shown in Disk Management and Minitool Partition Wizard.

When I also check the Storage Spaces in Control panel, this pops up: Image 04

I have over 800GB of files stored and most of them are really important so I really need my external hard drive to work like it used to.

Solution
Well, unfortunately, it seems that you will need to contact a data recovery company in order to retrieve the data. You should always back up your data, or at least the most important stuff.

In case the drive is under warranty, you can contact the place you got the drive from and eventually RMA it.

CRC error could be associated with drive failure. Taking into account all the things you've tried, there's nothing much you can do.

D_Know_WD :)
Hi there JiyuuPhonenix,

In many cases, if a drive is recognized as having 0 bytes, then it has most probably failed.
Unfortunately, if the data stored on the drive is really important, you will need to contact a data recovery company.

Apart from that, the things you can try are:
- Attach the drive with another cable to another computer.
- Try using some other software tools. (even though these would not work in case the drive is recognized as having 0 bytes)

Let me know in case you have some more questions,

JiyuuPhonenix

Commendable
Sep 13, 2016

Hello, I tried attaching the drive with another cable to another computer but it's condition is still the same. Is there any way to make the drive functional?

Well, unfortunately, it seems that you will need to contact a data recovery company in order to retrieve the data. You should always back up your data, or at least the most important stuff.

In case the drive is under warranty, you can contact the place you got the drive from and eventually RMA it.

CRC error could be associated with drive failure. Taking into account all the things you've tried, there's nothing much you can do.

Solution