[SOLVED] StoreMi usage possibility on SSD

Jan 4, 2020
  • Is it possible to use an SSD 512 GB for windows and StoreMi at the same time? If the answer is yes so StoreMi will make the new drive (or virtual drive) for need space to use as tiered drive?
  • May ask that read and write will make lower SSD life duration because of StoreMi usage?

Last edited:
Solution
The advice was to not use it to begin with.
But, It really doesn't matter which one of the two you do, the performance difference between the two won't be noticeable.

Be sure to make backups of the drives, when StoreMI has issues, it'll be much faster to restore from your backups then trying to fix it.
Jan 4, 2020
If that's possible to use an SSD drive for windows drive and tiered drive at the same time you think it's better to have to separate SSD (2x 256 GB) or one SSD (1x 512 GB) with double capacity?
  • Is it possible to use an SSD 512 GB for windows and StoreMi at the same time? If the answer is yes so StoreMi will make the new drive (or virtual drive) for need space to use as tiered drive?
  • May ask that read and write will make lower SSD life duration because of StoreMi usage?
I found my first question answer on AMD Storemi PDF document page 24. The answer is "yes i can use greater SSD than 256 GB and it will make a new drive for its reason".
https://www.amd.com/system/files/documents/AMD-StoreMI-Users-Guide.pdf

StoreMi, like FuzeDrive or Intel's RST or Storage Spaces, etc. is a tiering solution. PrimoCache, DrivePool (w/SSD), etc. are caching solutions. There's a difference between the two. With tiering, the faster SSD tier gets the "hottest" or most-accessed data while the slower HDD tier acts like cold storage. There's some caching here with Storage Spaces for example (1GB by default, for small writes) but in general that's how it works, much like a SSHD. With caching, all incoming writes go first to the SSD and then are later collated and written sequentially out to the HDD. SSHDs also do this since they have DRAM write cache, but you get the idea. Optane for its part is a bit different, if Optane-accelerated that is, it combines everything into one volume that acts as both caching and tiering, but I digress. There's certainly advantages to doing it if your SSD is small and HDD large or if you have specific needs, but if your SSD is sufficient for OS + apps then it's safer to manage manually.

Me? I use Storage Stages with striped SSDs and HDDs for temporary workspace. I personally would not use it (or StoreMI) for an OS SSD + HDD solution...

Reactions: dadashali
Jan 4, 2020
StoreMi, like FuzeDrive or Intel's RST or Storage Spaces, etc. is a tiering solution. PrimoCache, DrivePool (w/SSD), etc. are caching solutions. There's a difference between the two. With tiering, the faster SSD tier gets the "hottest" or most-accessed data while the slower HDD tier acts like cold storage. There's some caching here with Storage Spaces for example (1GB by default, for small writes) but in general that's how it works, much like a SSHD. With caching, all incoming writes go first to the SSD and then are later collated and written sequentially out to the HDD. SSHDs also do this since they have DRAM write cache, but you get the idea. Optane for its part is a bit different, if Optane-accelerated that is, it combines everything into one volume that acts as both caching and tiering, but I digress. There's certainly advantages to doing it if your SSD is small and HDD large or if you have specific needs, but if your SSD is sufficient for OS + apps then it's safer to manage manually.

Me? I use Storage Stages with striped SSDs and HDDs for temporary workspace. I personally would not use it (or StoreMI) for an OS SSD + HDD solution...
I'm sorry but I didn't understand that it's better to use separate SSD for that or it's ok if I use an SSD with higher capacity? or there is no difference between these choices?

popatim

Titan
The advice was to not use it to begin with.
But, It really doesn't matter which one of the two you do, the performance difference between the two won't be noticeable.

Be sure to make backups of the drives, when StoreMI has issues, it'll be much faster to restore from your backups then trying to fix it.

Solution
Jan 4, 2020
You mean StoreMi will get a problem on normal usage (it's a buggy project yet?) or tha's possible to get a problem on installation (i think you mean this one)?

popatim

Titan
StoreMI works, but you need to plan for when it stops working. Like all programs, it can have issues.

Google =win10 storemi issues
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS826US826&ei=_ds4XvHRLY6s_Qaw_5SwAw&q=storemi+issues+win10&oq=storemi+issues+win10&gs_l=psy-ab.3...2308.2308..2994...0.2..0.87.87.1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71.W8AP4KXryLE&ved=0ahUKEwixxLLW8bbnAhUOVt8KHbA_BTYQ4dUDCAs&uact=5
You should always research before buying or using imo. I'm glad you are asking questions before diving right in.