Storgae drives taking awhile

chicksaresmarttoo

Honorable
May 6, 2012
i just upgraded my computer, im now running a ssd as my OS drive. i have 4 storage HDD's, when i go to any storage drive now to access it, it takes longer than on my old system to access the folders. I understand they wont be as peppy as the ssd, but what confuses me is why they dont act like they did with my old system prior. once i access the storage hdd they run good while within folders, but 1st time after starting comp or restarting or just not using the drives for a period of time and when i go to access them, the access time is slower than my old system. there i tried saying it a couple ways to hopefully make it here someone understands.

With a fresh install of the OS, everytime you access a drive, it has to "index" the drive, to display it's contents.

Click on a drive, view some stuff, then exit out. Now go back to the same drive and view some stuff. Is it still slow? Shouldn't be!

Try some of these SSD tips & tricks:

The SSD Review - SSD Optimization Guide

OCZ Blog - SSD Tips & Tweaks

You don't have to do them all, or any. They are just tips.

I know these are SSD tips, and you have issues with accessing the HDD, but some of them do apply (like ACHI mode, write-caching and buffer flushing).

chicksaresmarttoo

Honorable
May 6, 2012
yeh, i had some of it done already, but a couple things i did not. like what was my issue was my storage hdd's were shutting down cuz i didnt have that shut off. forgot about that function. feel stupid now, lol