[SOLVED] Storing PC components

Jan 31, 2020
Hi all!

I have a question (propably most of you will think its strange) for you I would like to store parts for PCs (mobo, rams, CPUs and GPUs) to be able to use it and make a unit after +5 +10 years. This stuff is brand new in boxes as delivered from Amazon. I plan to keep them in original boxes and bags.
Anyone did something like this? Any advice for that long term storing? Will that parts work without issues?
I assume I would need to replace the CMOS battery , buy case and PSU and all should work fine same as I would build a unit now?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
I have lots of electronics that I use from storage.
Mostly they are spare parts that I buy for machines....and they sit on the shelf.....sometimes for 10-20 years and I've even used stuff that has sat longer than 20 years,

I have very good luck with it. It's pretty amazing to me how much good luck I have with it.

The main thing I would do is....make sure it's stored in a dry place with minimal thermal cycling (meaning the temperature remains fairly constant).
I have lots of electronics that I use from storage.
Mostly they are spare parts that I buy for machines....and they sit on the shelf.....sometimes for 10-20 years and I've even used stuff that has sat longer than 20 years,

I have very good luck with it. It's pretty amazing to me how much good luck I have with it.

The main thing I would do is....make sure it's stored in a dry place with minimal thermal cycling (meaning the temperature remains fairly constant).

Solution

DSzymborski

Titan
Most things ought to be fine if stored in a cool, dry location. Though do keep in mind that electrolytic capacitors degrade. While you'll probably be fine for five years, when you're talking ten years, you're at the point where you need to be using an ESR meter on the components with those. When a reputable power supply company is moving old PSUs that have been sitting in the warehouse, they test them first for very good reasons.

I had to admit that I agree that it seems pretty strange. I'm not sure why someone would want to pay 2020 prices to build an outdated PC in 2030. People sometimes try this idea, thinking that being able to sell "new" old parts would give them some kind of financial benefit on eBay, but it really doesn't. And it's not as if this "new" 2020 PC will have any kind of warranty coverage in 2030. So I'm curious what the goal is here since it doesn't seem to be spare parts.

Jan 31, 2020
jay32267
Thats nice, 286 and 386 are really old :) I would like to have back my old computers... I will keep in mind what you said about storing.

DSzymborski
I will not store PSUs.

And no I dont want to make any money for those parts just for personal use.