[SOLVED] storing Video...

1cherokee79

Honorable
BANNED
Sep 16, 2017
I had been ripping DVDs and videos that i had downloaded from online. I have a big TB hard drive to store all of my movies and TV shows on for to store up. So, what is a small video file size to store and not take up too much room just for storage.

Solution
For efficiency, H.265 is one of the better codecs to use for the same bitrate as H.264, MPEG-2, or other older codecs. However, H.265 only really shines in higher resolutions. For lower resolution content, H.264 is still fine. The other thing of note is the audio that the ripped content comes with. That can take a significant amount of space if you want 5.1 surround and all that.

I use Handbrake to convert my ripped videos. In the best case I've been able to crunch a ~20GB Blu-Ray rip to about 8GB. But sometimes I get 14-15GB conversions and I've yet to figure out what's causing that. DVD rips tend to go down to about 1GB from 4GB.
I had been ripping DVDs and videos that i had downloaded from online. I have a big TB hard drive to store all of my movies and TV shows on for to store up. So, what is a small video file size to store and not take up too much room just for storage.

??

Can you re-write the question.

A "movie" might take up 20 mb or 5 TB...depending on running time, file format, picture quality, etc?

I have not dealt with MOV files in a while. Most of my stuff is mp4.

As I recall...ON AVERAGE.....an MOV file of a given length and picture quality is likely to be larger than the identical file in mp4 format.

MOV was originally an Apple format and I don't see them around much anymore.

If you convert one to the other, you may or may not be able to see the difference in picture quality with the naked eye.

If I had a choice, I would go with mp4, but I probably would NOT convert my MOV files to mp4 unless I had major space issues on my hard drives.

You may or may not be able to replace your MOV files with mp4 equivalents. That might save some space, but it would be time-consuming.

ErickParker

Prominent
Dec 30, 2021
Hello,
I already had this question when converting my dvds. The best solution I found was to use a free app called VidCoder (https://vidcoder.net/)
It is excellent and allows various adjustments such as improving the quality of some videos, changing the format and adjusting audio gain.
My DVDs and BluRays were converted to mp4 using the x264 codec, category "movies" (they are part of VidCoder) as it is compatible with various devices and has good compression.
Normal films and series have an average of 2.5 GB and exceptional films or with special effects, such as Avatar, have an average of 6.0 GB

For efficiency, H.265 is one of the better codecs to use for the same bitrate as H.264, MPEG-2, or other older codecs. However, H.265 only really shines in higher resolutions. For lower resolution content, H.264 is still fine. The other thing of note is the audio that the ripped content comes with. That can take a significant amount of space if you want 5.1 surround and all that.

I use Handbrake to convert my ripped videos. In the best case I've been able to crunch a ~20GB Blu-Ray rip to about 8GB. But sometimes I get 14-15GB conversions and I've yet to figure out what's causing that. DVD rips tend to go down to about 1GB from 4GB.

Solution