Straight cable or cross over cable?

kumar123

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Hi, I have pppoe internet connection. My ISP provides connections like this:

ISP->media converter(fiber)->8 port switch(TP Link TL-SF1008D)->to individual internet connection account holders (like me)

Now the connection between media converter and switch is done using 4 pair cross over cable and I want to connect the cable running from the switch to the router and through router to my PC. So what type of cable should I use to make the connection between the switch and the router?

I am able to connect to the internet using straight through cable between the switch and my pc but when I try to connect the same cable between the switch and the router I am not able to connect to the internet.

Also, if I am using the 2 pair cable (instead of 4) between the switch and the router I am able to connect to the internet.

What can be the issue?

Thanks.

RealBeast

Titan
That 8 port switch has auto-MDIX ports so you can use either straight or crossover cables, so the router issue is probably your router configuration.

I can't answer your 2 pair cable question without knowing what configuration your 2 pairs use -- why not just use standard 568B cables?

kumar123

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

As I said earlier, I am able to connect to the internet when I run a 2 pair cable (1, 2, 3, 6 positions) between the router and my PC. So, do I need to make some changes in router configuration in order to be able to use cat5 cable?

Well, my ISP generally provides two pair cable for internet connection. I am using my own cat5 cable here.

Does it help?

Thanks.

RealBeast

Titan
No, as long as the same color wires are connected at both ends at 1,2,3,6 it should work fine ( http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/cable5.htm ).

The router should not need or have anything to change that relates to your cabling.

You do have to enter information into your router to set it for PPPoE, including your username and password, as well as to select that type of connection. Consult your provider for any specific information that you do not have. It is usually in the ISP/WAN configuration section on your router configuration pages -- check in your manual for specific details.

If all else fails, ask their tech support if you need to do anything else, such as cloning a MAC address to the router to support its use.

kumar123

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
I have put my account credentials in the router and I have cloned my PC's MAC address. The point I am trying to make is that I am able to access internet through the router when I use only 2 pair cable but when I use cat5 cable it does not connect to the internet.
Also when I connect the cat5 cable directly to my PC without any router in the picture I am able to access internet. Why this is so, I don't know but I am sure for one thing unless there are any changes to be made to the router configuration in order to use cat5 cable, my router settings are OK.

I am unable to figure out myself nor is my ISP going to provide any tech support as I am using cat5 cable.

If you could help me.

Thanks.

RealBeast

Titan
Are you connecting to the router WAN port from you ISP provided line?

If you use two or four wire pairs, as long as you use 1,2,3,6 on the RJ45 connectors you should be able to get 10/100Mbps Ethernet speeds. I would just pull out the other wires from the connector if they are somehow causing an issue, although that is very strange.

I understand now that you can use the router with two pair connections but not with four pair -- the only things that make any sense is that the router WAN port or the cable has an issue, because there are no settings in the router that would make any difference that I am aware of.

kumar123

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

Yes, correct.

That seems to be the last solution.

I think there is no issue with the cable because when I am connecting this cat5 (4 pair cable) cable directly to my PC without using the router in between the switch and my PC, I am able to access the internet. So my guess is there is no issue with the cable although the issue may be with the connector positions.

Anyway, if nothing works I am gonna pull the unused connectors.

Thanks.